So, I've been having chest pains...

I'm an asthmatic so I'm pretty accustomed to the pains and struggles that go along with it. Lately, I've been having chest pains when I breathe in the front and in the back. I don't have a cold and it doesn't feel like it's asthma related. I took my inhaler just to see if I could get it to ease up and it did nothing. I don't feel like it's bad enough to make an ER visit. I can't get same day appointments with my doctor because she is so popular and right now she is booked through the next 3 weeks. My only alternative would be the walk-in clinic.

Whenever you type in your symptoms on webMD, and mention chest pain...it says to go to the ER immdiately. I don't feel like it's serious at this point. What do you think you would do in my situation?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Health

• It all depends on your theshold for pain. Maybe you should try and call another doctor and go see them if you don't want to visit the ER. One thing that I have learned is that when it comes to chest pain you don't put it off because you never know what the cause or effect will be. So if you are feeling ok then just wait until Monday and call another doctor and see what's going on. Better Safe Than Sorry.
    Mz_Lady1978

Answer by Mz_Lady1978 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Tell your dr's phone nurse to refer you to someone who can get you in. Tell her you feel like you need to be seen. YOU DO.
    suzannekk

Answer by suzannekk at 4:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• if your dr.s that busy, get another one. NO Dr. in the world will be able to do you any good, if yu can't get in to see them when you have a genuine need. it may just be a pulled chest mscle, or something serious, but seriously, get another DR.
    thegoddessofwit

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 5:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You dont have to have a cold that your aware of to have a lung infection or pnemonia or pluresy (lung lining infection) Ge to your Dr. and get checked before it progresses to something serious please! And no matter that your Dr. is backed up 3 weeks if you EXPLAINE to the nurse at her office the trouble she WILL get you IN ASAP.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Not to alarm you but my husband had no cold, didn't do anything he could think of to cause pain and he kept thinking it was nothing serious and waited. He came to me one day and said I know there is something wrong take me to the hospital. He eats a good diet and excerises, plays golf 2 times a week etc. He had 3 blockages in his arteries. One 99% , 1 80% and one 67 %. He received 3 stints that day. If he had let it go any longer he probably would of suffered a masive heart attack.
    The first thing most doctors offices and hospital personel will tell you is if you are having any kind of chest pain or chest pressure to call 911 and let them bring you into ER because you will be prepped up and ready to go when you get there. If you don't want to call 911 you need to get to the emergency room because if you mention you are having chest pains they do not mess around and they will get you right back and check you out.
    It is better to be safe you should go to the ER.
    EPrice-Castro

Answer by EPrice-Castro at 7:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You maybe in the beginning stages of a respiratory infection. I too have asthma. I take Robitussin expectorant, to get the mucus out. Once that starts to come up You should feel better but you still may need an antibiotic.
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 7:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• it sounds like anxiety to me
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• anxiety or gas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,think about what u have eaten? are you stressed???
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008