question on breastfeeding...

How did dad bond with baby when you breastfed? I want baby's dad to be involved in everything... and i've heard it said over and over breastfeeding is best but how do you get dad involved then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• use a bottle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Have him burp the baby and give the baby a bath or just hold and play with the baby. I breastfed both my kids and they prefer daddy to me lol.

MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 4:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• When we are on the bed nursing, I always lay on my side with my son tummy-to-tummy. My husband lays behind me and that way Jameson can see him Daddy. It always tears Chris up when the baby sees him behind me and smiles so big the nipple falls out and milk spills everywhere. I also hand him off after a feeding for Daddy to burp.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My husband also used to hate getting in the bath, but now he loves it when all three of us get in the bath. He isn't very good at getting the baby clean so I wash him while he holds him and when I get out to get his clothes and towel ready he sits and plays with him. That is one of this favorite times with our son.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My husband would change and bath baby. She spent a lot of time with him.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Have dad wear the baby in a baby carrier. It's a great way to bond. He can also burp, hold, change diapers, and do lots of things that don't involve feeding.
    clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 4:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My husband and I tried to have him burp our daughter as part of their bonding time. However, he has bad shoulders and it was very uncomfortable for him. So now most of their bonding time is tummy time with her on his stomach. One thing you might want to try is to pump your breast milk so he can feed her with a bottle.
    .geisha.runner.

Answer by .geisha.runner. at 5:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have my hubby do bath time. you can also express some milk for dad to give in a bottle once Bfing is established. my hubby bottle fed my dd but not my son and he bonded better with dd.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 6:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• time is what facilitates bonding, not feeding method. if that were the case, before the invention of bottles, no father would have ever bonded with his child. have dad cuddle, hold, carry, change diapers, bath, sing to... there is heaps dads can do. feeding is such a small part of things, it certainly doesnt stop the father/baby bond.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Feeding method has nothing to do with dad bonding. My DH at first would change diaper in between sides while I was nursing and burp them. He also was the one who gave baths. While I was cooking dinner he would hold them and play and entertain them. As they get older there are more and more ways to bond.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2009