My 3 year old is having nightmares and waking up about every hour during the night...HELP??!! Is this normal?

This is happening every 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour. She wakes up screaming and she is very combative. I feel like I have a newborn in the house again because I am not getting any sleep.

nugget_101st

Asked by nugget_101st at 5:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like night terrors... my son had them at about the same age... only he'd get up and run around and scream (while still sleeping!)... if that's the problem there isnt much you can do, they do outgrow it though.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 year old and she has them on occasion. I've noticed with her that what will trigger them is when she's been stressed i.e. us moving to a new home. Her anxiety manifests in her dreams in the form of nightmares or night terrors. When they happen, I can't do anything at the time but when she's awake I reassure her and find ways to lighten things up or remove as much of the "stress" from her environment as possible. I can tell the difference when I do. Sticking to a routine definitely helps too. For her, it's all about security.
    Laurensmommie

Answer by Laurensmommie at 11:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2009