universal health care

i am Australian. i have universal health care. i choose my doctor, i go when ever i am sick. i do not have to wait. no one tells me which doctor to see, or who i cannot see. if i need to see a specialist i see one. i get treated when i need to be. i do not have to pay-though i have the option to have private insurance

i see such a lot of controversy about universal health care, and i am baffled as to why it is an issue of such controversy. why do 'they' say the government will tell individuals who or when they can see a doctor. i can understand individuals dont want the gov. to have undue input into their lives, but coming from a system which has free health care, but i cannot see why some people think that the gov. would have any input at all.

can someone explain why it would be different in the US? i dont want to start any arguments-i understand this is a hot issue right now, i just am confused as to WHY it is

katiemum

Asked by katiemum at 5:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• One reason many of us aren't interested in government taking the reigns on health care is because they don't run ANY (and I really mean ANY) program efficiently. This will simply be more of the same. Lots of money running through their hands and less getting to the care of the people.

The second reason is, oh, and this is really interesting, that we are flat broke.  Broke.  As in no money at all, everything we spend is borrowed and must be paid back by future generations that aren't even born yet.  The amount of money it would cost to give healthcare to every one of our citizens is just not fiscally possible.  Great for countries that have smaller populations and if it works for them, again, good for them.  But the states in the US that have health care like this are experiencing their own setbacks due to their UHC, so following suit doesn't make a lot of sense.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i dont know either, but i think we should have it. i dont see negatives about it
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• First of all, I understand that Australia is phasing our their national health care system.

Secondly, Australia has about a TENTH of the residents the USA has (not counting the MILLIONS of illegals who will also benefit from UHC)

Third, our country is BROKE! Thanks to Obama and half of this country's residents who do not pay income taxes to support government spending.

Fourth, we ALREADY have healthcare programs for low to no income residents--Medicare/Medicaid and free health clinics for those who need them.

The bottom line, is you get what you pay for!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm Canadian and British and have had universal health care all my life.  I would never live in a country that didn't have it.

I think the American government and insurance companies have been feeding Americans propaganda regarding UHC because they don't want it.  Having said all that, I don't think a system like we have would work in the US.  The population is too large to be cost effective.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Because the US is already trying to butt in and tell me what I can and cannot do medically and I don't think UHC is going to make that any better. I have looked at the systems that Canada and Australia have and if we could get them to work here that would be great, but that is not what I see happening here. I see the government stepping in and not being able to deal with it the way it needs to and it taking me 6 months to get into a doctor when I get pregnant again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• beeky--
    If you've never experienced the American way of living, you cannot possibly understand it! Just like I cannot understand your dependence on your government, you cannot understand how many of us do not want the government controlling our lives!

If you've never experienced our freedoms and capitalistic society (which WORKS--pun intended!), then you don't understand how the thought of NOT being able to make the most of ourselves and what our country has to offer, would be a scary proposition!

The "propaganda" goes both ways! I'm sure I believe things about Canada and the UK that aren't true, and you the same when it comes to America.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• there are no current plans to phase out the free system. the article was written in a 'oh no, what if' situation. it also said the US has no free health care, although i have heard from several people that there is for low/no income groups.
    here, illegal immigrants/tourists/non-residents cannot access free health care.
    it doesnt matter how high or low a population is, as less people=less tax dollars to spend on health care.
    i understand the US has been very hard hot with the GFC though i have read the current system spends half its money on admin costs and half on actual health care-correct me if thats wrong, im going off wikipedia stats.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 7:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• why do would it take 6 months to get in to see a doctor?
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 7:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The reason for all of the "administrative costs" associated with health care plans are due to all of the frivolous law suits and medical malpractice issues--which our country is ripe with! Again, the costs for all of these law suits (successful or otherwise) have to be made up somewhere--so it hits those with insurance plans in the form of increased costs for doctors visits, surgeries, and prescription drugs.

When doctors are TOLD how much they are allowed to charge, you are going to see them drastically cut back on their available hours, they will have interns and nurses do most of their works/appointments, and therefore they will be harder to see which leads to having to wait months to see a QUALITY doctor...adm I don;t know about you, but I would rather pay out of pocket for the BEST physician I can get as opposed to free mediocre ones!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I cannot understand your dependence on your government,  What dependence would that be?  Apart from the normal dependence that our government keeps our country operating *cough* smoothly and prevents us from plunging into anarchy.

If you've never experienced our freedoms and capitalistic society   Actually I have!  Neither Canada or Britain are under-developed countries and we have all the same basic rights and privileges that you do.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009