is it ok to sleep on your stomach?

I am 20 weeks pregnant and always end up asleep on my stomach i cant fall asleep on my back and when i fall asleep on my side i end up on my stomach. Is this ok?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 7:13 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope... you're not supposed to sleep on your belly... try putting some pillows next to you that way you can't roll over all the way
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i just put pillows between my legs so i dont roll completely on my tummy, sometime a thin pillow under your lower tummy works too
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If it hurts then you shouldn't do it but there isn't much you can do in your sleep. Just always try to sleep on your left side. Remember mother nature knew what she was doing, there is a lot in there to protect your lil one.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• make sure ur not FLAT on ur stomach, put ur knee up to support urself or pillows. My obgyn told me it was fine and I'd know if the baby was uncomfy but it made me uncomfy knowing he or she is in there n doesnt have a lot of space to begin with ha ha. My problem is that I never ever slept on my back in my life and 4 some reason when I got pregnant, I started to. Its NEVER been a problem and I don't do it on purpose, I always go to sleep on my side, but sometimes I wake up on my back at night. I guess my body wants to make up 4 the fact that I'm not on my tummy anymore??
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• before i got pregnant, i despised sleeping on my stomach but for the first five or six months it wasnt uncommon to see me on my tummy in my sleep. My hubby would try to roll me off my tummy and onto my side or something and he swears up and down that i tried to knock him out. I asked my doc if it was safe and he told me that since i wasnt showing, the baby would be ok. I didn't start showing at all until 7 months along. Some doctors will tell you its not ok but others will say it is. I say find a medium that is comfortable for you whether it be laying with your butt in the air and your knees off to your sides, so be it. Or if its the first few months, lay on your belly if you want! The first three months or so, they are so tiny and they still have plenty of room. Just do whatever makes you comfortable, you deserve it. After all, look what your body is being put through for nine months
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 9:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was a tummy sleeper before I was pregnant and getting one of those long body pillows (it was about $13 at Walmart) really helped to keep me from rolling over. I dont' know for sure if it's bad for you or not to sleep that way when you are pregnant but I was just uncomfortable with it. I felt like I was squishing her. I'm sure the bigger you get the more uncomfortable it will get anyways:-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009