Do you believe ADD and ADHD really exist?

I personally think they are just an excuse for poor parenting that results in out-of-control kids. I work in the school system, and you see these kids that start off in Pre-K as these sweet little children, but their parents are totally uninvolved scumbags....sure enough, by 5th grade, the kids are complete terrors and suddenly they have "ADHD."

I don't buy it. Do you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Does it exist? Yes.

Is it grossly over-diagnosed? Absolutely.
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 9:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes, i do think it exists....my husband is 31 years old and has adult ADHD, my 9 year old nephew has ADHD, and is being raised by MY parents, so no, it's not always bad parenting that makes the children act up, sometimes they can't concentrate and get bored easily
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my dd is 12 and i was just told she has adhd. which i think is crap. i am a very involved parent and do home work with her everynight so its not that im lazy, i think she would rather hang out and talk to her friends then do class work. teacher calls her a social butterfly now how is that my fault? im not at school with her if i could sit next to her i would...pay attention. but i do agree they have a drug for everything. i havent given to my dd yet and not sure if its right for her im still ifiy on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Is it grossly over-diagnosed? Absolutely.
    ---
    I so agree w/ you! ... I don't like when you mention to parents that their kid was acting out a few times, then comes the "s/he has adhd" ... i dont believe it when it comes FROM the parents like THAT , but if i know the parent and know the situation and the family situation , ill believe them , sometimes it just sounds like an excuse
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I believe it's over diagnosed a lot too (like PB J).
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I know it exists. I had it growing up and I have an adult form of it now. Are other problems often misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD? Oh yeah! People would rather medicate than deal with normal childhood hyperactivity. People aren't putting their kids out to play as often so they sit inside on the couch in front of their video games and when they get out of the house, they go wild! LOL! But seriously, it is real. I have learned to cope with mine without medication so it is possible to do so. It does take lots of time to get it under control though and I don't see medicating during that time period a bad thing.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 9:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• also i do think it is there but they jump to say thats whats wrong. my dd isent running around screaming and acting crazy shes just bored and antsy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm sure it does exist, but it seems like any kid that wants to run around and play (every kid) is diagnosed with ADD. I agree with what you're saying.
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I had ADHD until I was 19 or so and still battle it a bit, and my husband has adult ADD. I believe in it, but I think it can be controlled with things other than medication (like oh... giving a child things to do with their mind instead of running wild) and in adults I believe that we can work to better ourselves. Just like with any other "shortcomming", you figure out what works and doesn't work and you better yourself and get ahold of your adult ADD or ADHD. I did and my husband is getting there.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 9:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• OP--do you also believe that those of us with autistic children are bad parents too?! That we somehow caused it?

Great.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009