carpet stinks... what to do??

i have a carpet in my living room under it wood floors ( lanlord wants floors coverd mostly so no wear and tear ) anyways the rug is 2 years old and cost me just over 100 bucks and i cant just go out and replace it right now, but its starting to stink and i have tired baken soda and letting it sit for 20 mins vaccum it up and that didnt work. i dont think i can get a rug cleaner there no padding under it and thers wood floors so worried i would hurt wood, and i dont think i could take it outside and hose it down its 11x8 and weather isent good here right now ( rainy ) what would u do to help it smell better till u can get a new one...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• get some pet carpet freshner
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• have u ever tried that carpet powder? ... u sprinkle it , than run the sweeper ... i also have to have carpet over my floors per my landlord too,and thats what i used
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i will try anything right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would try a lemon vinegar spritz and air out the house. What does is smell of? That's tough you can't shampoo or rip it out.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Try ordoBan ... we get the gal of concentrate and I use a large spray bottle and make a mixture of it and use it on everything including in the laundry on my dh's clothes after he comes home from a fire run...
    When doing your carpets tho, you will have to soak the areas and let it dry naturally... sometimes depending on how bad it is, you may have to do it 1 more time, but it works wonders...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• if your worried about the wood floors you can take it outside and use a shampooer. Also those carpet freshners are nothing more than baking soda and fragrance. you can make it yourself too. Baking soda and mix in a sprinkle of fragrance(or essential oils) in it. mix and mash out any clumps. You may have to use it many times to get results. Shampoo and then do the freshner a few times a week, it should start smelling better but it wont be overnight. Good Luck! :)
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• take it to the car wash. go ahead. laugh, i'll wait.
    okay, so my husband did this and it came back like new. no smell, no stains, it was awesome.
    it got dog pee stink out so it should work for you.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• sprinkle liberally with baking soda, then spray until quite damp with white vinegar. let dry overnight and vacuum.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2009