'Don't Ask Don't Tell' policy... what is your opinion of it?

Do you think gays should keep quiet about their sexual orientation and live a lie in order to serve? How does being Gay affect your ability to carry a weapon and die for your Country?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "BUT I THINK THAT IF THOSE WHO ARE GAY ANNOUNCED IT MIGHT CAUSE CONFLICT BETWEEN THE TROOPS "

Um, no one is saying anything about running around and announcing it. They are saying that they shouldn't have to hide it for fear of being booted.

Or did you not hear about the guy in the Army, who was a talented Arabic translator, who was just recently booted because it got out that he was gay, and he didn't lie about it. So because some genius realized he was gay and spread it around, and because he refused to lie to superiors, he was booted.

No one should run around flaunting their sexuality. The same goes for straight people who brag about their sexual exploits, not just gay people. No one wants anyone to FLAUNT anything,g ay, straight, bisexual, or asexual. They just don't want people to have to actively hide it for fear of something happening like what happened to that translator.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 1:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think it is horrible. Someone wants to risk their life and can not tell them that they are gay is just plain wrong.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was in the Army when this policy was enforced and I can tell you that most of the soldiers I spoke with about it, thought it was stupid. I just don't understand what they fear...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Do you think gays should keep quiet about their sexual orientation and live a lie in order to serve?

No. I think you should be able to be who you are and not worry about someone "finding out." Having lived in the military community for 10 years I can see why it might be beneficial. Lots of people who don't take kindly to people who are different so for protections sake, I understand it.

_________

How does being Gay affect your ability to carry a weapon and die for your Country?

It doesn't. The military have lost a lot of good people because of this policy and it's ridiculous. All it does is hurt the it's ability to protect the country.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:13 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Being in the military and I don't think being Gay has anything to do with your job perforamnce. What is the difference in knowing the person is a gay soldier and not knowing. Maybe the high ranked military officials can answer that question
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 9:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Since I have no idea what being in the military is like, I would prefer to leave it up to the military officials to decide what benefits their troops in the best way.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• BEING GAY DOES NOT AFFECT THE SOLDIER IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Answer by older at 9:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Maybe they are afraid of the sex that would be going on with the soldiers and the disease that could follow. I don't know either way how I feel but I think it makes sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• There are a lot of Gays in the military. We all know who they are. What is really sad is that they can't talk about the same things that the straight guys can. If they have a SO, and they put new carpet in their house last weekend, they can't say it, simply because their SO is someone of the same sex.

However, I do see the other side of it. There are a lot of people in the military who are very homophobic and I dont know how it would affect life in the workplace or unit cohesion.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think they should not announce it any more than I announce that I am heterosexual.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009