I think I might be pregnant - But I am considered too Old :(

I am a healthy, 48 year old with two boys (11 & 14) from a previous marriage. My husband and I didn't think we would be able to have children since he had trouble conceiving with his first wife.

My problem is that I am embarrassed to say anything to anybody because of the negative reactions people will have knowing how old I am. I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A lot more people have babies older now and if they are true friends they will be happy for you and screw everyone else. Before you worry about what ppl say though find out if you truly are pregnant.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Hold your head up and be proud.. The age doesn't matter. It is your physical and mental health. If they are in pretty good condition, then good for you. Who cares what every one else thinks.
    Congratulations on your baby!!!!
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• 48 come on u r to old to be haveing babies get over it get a puppy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• That happened to someone in our town. People may be surprised but it is your life. When you are ok with it they will be ok with it. Actually I can think of 2 of my parents friends that had a baby later in life after there kids were older. The only thing I ever heard my parents say was "she is as good of a mom to Elizabeth as she was to the first two, can you imagine going to all day swim meets at our age?" They admired her like they somehow expected her to be a different kind of mother or slack off...plus it encouraged my dad to go get the vasectomy check LOL! Who cares what anyone says!! God says he wants you to have a bundle of joy, embrace it!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• also, don't worry about what the anon's are going to say...they have nothing else better to do then to make some one feel bad about themselves and choices just as they do. Take a HPT and see if you are pregnant. If you are not pregnant you may want to go get checked to see if maybe you are menopausal. Sometimes menopause can happen earlier than expected in life. But I am hoping it is pregnancy....Good Luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• im going to tell u what i think, plain simple and not sugar coated..would i have had children at that age, prob. not..wanted to..probably...but you did, its a baby F what everyone thinks and be HAPPY...you wanted this (i think)...and if you didnt im sorry, but your healthy, your in a stable relationship, never be ashamed of your life, it is yours and yours alone...dont let others opinions deter you from what you want to do...my aunt was just a few years younger than you when she had her second child, her first was 16...it was a SHOCK to everyone and its been hard on them..but they make it work and hes the happiest smartest little boy!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Anonymous - that is a great answer! I will just find someone younger and less decrepit than I am to take the baby and will stick to taking care of dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Did you tell your husband? Screw what people think, just tell everyone it was quite a surprise... and enjoy that little baby! I think its great, congrats!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• A friend of mine recently was pregnant at 45. I don't think it's that uncommon. I would personally think of it as a blessing and be excited about my little miracle. But just be aware that the miscarriage rate is extremely high. If you are afraid of what people will say I would wait a while to tell them. My friend was very excited and told everyone right away because she figured she would probably miscarry and wanted people to be excited with her while she had something to be excited about. She did end up miscarrying but was happy to have been pregnant again for even that short amount of time. So if you are pregnant, congratulations!
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your responses. This is unexpected but not unwelcome. My husband was tested years ago and they said he would have trouble conceiving without "help" from a doctor, so we never expected this. But until I am sure, I don't plan to tell anyone (my husband knows.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009