is my outfit acceptable for an interview?

i have an interview today...the woman who called me said to dress everyday casual and said to not dress up. its an active job working with youth...i wanna wear skinny jeans, a nice black top, and black flats. is that ok? my SO says no, because i should dress to impress, but i feel like its very everyday casual...and dressing up would not be. besides the fact that i own nothing very business casual...i have talked to another woman who works for the same company and she said jeans are fine. is he right? can i jeopardize my chances of getting the job? i feel like even if i would wear something dressier, that would be an issue because they said not to...

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• wear jean and a nice top. I would.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• if the woman specifically said not to dress up..follow her directions if you dont then you walk in and she'll think hmm..already she doesnt listen..dress nicely..make sure its clean and wrinkle free but dont go all out with heels and stuff..your outfit you described sounds perfect for what she asked for...its nice, but still casual!! i say perfect!!! becareful listening to SOs...hes right you usually dress to impress but NOT when your TOLD otherwise!! GOODLUCK!! i have one on friday!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would listen to hubby on this one... and go for some khakis instead. Skinny jeans (as in close fitting - is just too casual for an interview). As the advice goes... your attire for the interview should reflect the best attire you'd be expected to wear at the job.... In today's market, I wouldn't risk it at all. Better safe than unemployed.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i'd wear some slacks, not really dressy just confy ones like this:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=11839&vid=2&pid=585651
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Skinny jeans isn't casual wear in the work place. I would wear some slacks and a button up
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 9:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• nice comfy slacks and a nice top not dressy but just looks nice corse if shes seeing if u follow direction then do what she says. nice jeans and a nice shirt and comfy shoes. good luck on your interveiw.xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think as long as you are NOT dressy... look nice & clean & can be taken seriously by your clothes (dont look trashy. dont wear anything revealing. or bring attention to special assets --boobs,butt) you will be fine...
    My first idea would to have wore khakis (or relaxed jeans) & a womans polo...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If you are not wearing a suit, then dress one step above the environment. Do not wear jeans; it sends the message that you have a casual attitiude.
    Wear a nice pair of dark pants (not jeans), and a simple shirt or blouse in a neutral color; a coordinated jacket would be good, too. Where sensible shoes (make sure that they are clean and polished. Light makeup, or none at all. Do not wear any scented products.
    I do career and job search coaching; feel free to contact me if you would like some help with your interview prep.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Khakis are a good option. Then put it with a nice shirt and great flats. Make sure everything is ironed and you are fresh and not too made up. GOOD LUCK!
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 8:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009