How far apart do you recommend your kids being?

So far everyone I have talked to says 1 1/2 to 2 years apart that way they can relate/play with each other while growing up. Either that or try again when your first one is 2 that way hopefully the first one will be potty trained by the time the new baby is born. My first kid will be 1 in Feb and I was going to stop taking my birth control around Dec (last time it took 6 months to get pregnant after I stopped birth control) that way they were around 2 years apart. I just wanted some advice from other moms before we decided for sure when to try again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I personally think 2-3 years is ideal for one reason and that is because statistically when nature is left to do it's thing (nurse exclusively, no birth control etc.) that is the usual spacing you get. Things were designed that way for a reason. Mine are 25 months apart and we let nature space them!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Mine are 2 years and 1 month apart. I didn't plan that, it just happened, but I'm happy with the spacing. Like all siblings, they have a love/hate relationship, lol, but there's nothing sweeter than hearing my 2YO laughing hysterically with my 4YO. The first year was HARD. A toddler and an infant is more work than you can imagine, plus less sleep than you can imagine, but it gets easier and easier. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• From my experience I would have to say plan it so your first will be potty trained...It is way to expensive to have 2 in diapers, plus if you try to start potty training after a big change such as a sibling it may backfire on you. I am not saying all kids are that way though.....I don't really think their is a perfect age gap...it is just what you feel you can handle....I will say though...it would be harder to have 2 dependent children. My daughter was 3 when my son was born and it was great....she was potty trained and at her age could entertain her self for longer periods of time so that if I had to be doing something with the baby it was ok. Just my opinion....everyone is different. I say do what you feel happy with.
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 9:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my kids will be 3 years apart when my son is born
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i dont have a limit, i say when i feel im ready to take on a 2nd child.i noe if i was angelina jolie wit her money id probably be poppin out baby aftr baby though lol..
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 9:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• In my personal experience, my children are 21 months apart. My anniversary is on feb. 21 and my sons birthday is feb 18th. well i got pregnant with my daughter on my 3rd anniversary (my sons second birthday had just passed). It is not easy with them being this close in age. for a while there I was buying two packs of diapers. that was $140 a month in diapers from Sam's Club. They fight constantly. My son does not want her having any toys (even her dolls) she wants to play with trucks and cars and she is not allowed. taking them in public is a disaster all in itself. My son is 3 and my daughter is 19 months. My son likes to run, so when he gets out of the car, if I don't grab his hand really fast, he runs away. I have a double stroller that he hates to be in and he won't hold my hand if he walks, so he is forced to sit in the stroller and cry the whole time we are in the store. Every 1 is different, if u can handle it, go 4 it
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My mother had four kids in five years. My older brother was only 6 months old when she found out she was pregnant for me. My children will probably be close in age, but not that close. lol
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My children are one year one week and one day apart. They are now 3 and 4 but it was very hard and my daughter had to grow up real fast because she was one when I had my son. We planned our daughter but did not plan our son and I would recommend waiting until they are at least two to try. They fight all the time but when they are apart they miss each other so much and can't wait to be together. Also the price for diapers was very expensive and I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore. Good luck to you.
    Christy952

Answer by Christy952 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My kids are 4 yrs apart & I planned it that way,but it's really about your personal preference.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• you also need to think about the things young ones could be exposed to around older children. my mom had me in 1990. my sister in 1993. we are almost 4 yrs apart. then my mom found out she was pregnant again and along came my 2nd sister in 2001. we are 11 yrs apart and they are 8yrs. and that is a very long time. my mom said she wishes we were all closer 1. for us to play. and 2. so the littlest would hear such.. things... my 8 yr old sister navigates the internet well, playing game is all but she dabbled into some Multi-online role playing games (for kids) but they emailed me with a record of IMs where she was asking a guy to email her a pic so they could date online...
    personally i dont have anything to do with online dating nor do i have any interest in dating at all for a long long time. i am 15 weeks pregnant and my ex (the dad) is no longer in the pic cause he is a fool and it ruined it for me. so def. closer.
    Aphrodite108

Answer by Aphrodite108 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009