When to wean?

My son is 11 months old. When should I start weaning him from the breast? I have heard everything from 6 months to 3-4 years...and I am not sure. Should I just let him wean himself?

logansmommy711

Asked by logansmommy711 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly...the WHO recommends 2 years at least. When I had my son 13 years ago...I would have said by age one. Now, after reading and researching, I am all for child led weaning. The decision is yours, but, I would suggest researching all the medical studies and deciding for yourself. I wouldn't listen to what other moms did because there are some that will say 6 months old and some that say never. I will say, that no kids will or can continue past age 5. It is impossible to suck properly once they start losing teeth, so, you don't have to worry that your baby won't stop. Most will stop around two or three anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i didnt breast feed but i would say to let him wean himself or if it starts to get uncomportable for you then wean him then. i wouldnt go past to years myself but some people do it all up to you and your lil one
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• be careful when asking this question, the BF nazis will attack and be holier than thou.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• when hes atleast 2. he should be able to wean himself..let him enjoy it its the healthiest thing you could give your child give it to him as long as you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Whenever Is best for u and your son...no one here knows your situation and you shouldn't let anyone influence you.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Whenever you feel comfortable with it, or whenever he decides he doesn't want it anymore. Whichever comes first.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• whatever is comfortable for both of you.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Exactly what HisMommy414 said. That is what I was going to say in a nutshell.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 11:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• personally i think its weird to have your son or daughter walk up when they are like 2 or 3 and them sucking on your nipping, just creepy you know.. I would do it before 2 years, unless you pump, that is my opinion
    Anonymous

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1460015/Natural_Age_of_Weaning

Mine are self weaners and the first was at 18 months while I was pregnant and the second is still going strong at 24 months. Personally I believe in self weaning, but it is not for some. I think even 2 days is better then nothing and commend every mother who tries to breastfeed. In the US it is out of the norm to nurse at all and nursing past the age of 6-12 months is definitely not the norm, but in Europe it is not uncommon to see a 3 year old nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009