Non-Christians

Do you to your best to understand where the Christians are comming from?
How much do you know about their faith and why they have it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband is Christian and I have friends and family that are Christian so I understand why they have their faith and their beliefs it's just not something I believe in. IMO the bible was written by a bunch of men so we can't know if it's god's word or not. I just don't have faith it is and I don't believe in organized religion but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My dh is a Christian(Lutheran) and my MIL & SIL are devout Catholics, I understand their beliefs, I have attended services in both religions and others, but it is something I don't believe in.
    That is just something some people do not understand about non-Christians, that they just don't believe the same as them and it's not the lack of not knowing other religions, it just isn't them.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was raised one, and gladly found alternatives first chance I had. I've read the bible multiple times and compared both versions - KJV and NAB. I understand completely where they are coming from, but that does not mean I have to agree with it. I also understand that there is no such group as "the Christians," since they turn on each other as quick as they'll turn on a non-Christian when the mood strikes. I understand why drug addicts steal money - doesn't mean I have to encourage or approve of it, any more than I need to lump them in the same group as the casual pot user.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I like to study up on a subject before make my opinion. And I have many Christian friends and family. I've gone to different churches. I just don't find the religion or any other religion to be what I need. But I do see where they're coming from. I just don't agree with almost all of it
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 10:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Was christian for 34 yrs, I understand their faith and where they come from.
    Doesnt mean I agree with them or appreciate when some of them go wonky on us.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I know where they are coming from. I know alot about the Pentacostal religion since I spent 7 years in that faith. But, I don't agree with the beliefs and my life experiecnes don't match up with what is in the bible.
    I will fight for their right to practice their faith and I only get upset when there is a rogue one that tries to tell me I am flat out wrong. They don't seem to understand that I believe what I believe, as do they. No one will know who was really right until we are dead.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Virtually everyone I know is Christian. My 2 best friends in the whole world are both Catholic. My family is a mix of everthing from Baptist to Lutheran to non-denom. I spent MANY an hour in Pentacostal churches as a teen, along with just about every other denom. out there.

I know quite a bit about Christianity, & most "have it" because it's what speaks to their heart ~~~ at least I hope that's the case.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was raised Pentecostal/Baptist/Methodist/non-denom and considered myself a Christian until I was 19 years old (which was just last year). I'm just now finding out about the finer details of the religion, like speaking in tongues and why people believe certain things that others don't. But for the most part, when you really get down to it, yeah, I totally know where they're coming from. I was one of them for a long time. I really think that if certain life circumstances wouldn't have happened to me, I would be on the "other side" of this debate instead of with my beloved Heathens.

I respect their right to believe whatever they want to believe. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it, though. I will never tell a Christian they're wrong first. It's when *they* initiate a fight with *me* that the shit hits the fan.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I do try to understand overall. I was one for several years so I know where they are coming from to a point. I just don't agree with it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I really do try to understand where they are coming from, but sometimes they get too preachy and I just shut down after that point...There is a point to everything and once that point is crossed I dont want to hear it anymore...If you can respect me enough to hear me out, I will do the same, but if the other person is just demanding and demeaning then hell no, I will not care at that point. And that for me goes for any religion and belief.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009