Should my daughter be in the advanced math class next year?

My daughter will be going into the 6th grade next year. She took a test this year and was accepted into the advanced math class! She will jump right into 7th grade math! I have been told by many people that the class moves quickly and there is a crazy amount of homework involved (of which I might add, her father would have to help her with!) Her fifth grade teacher says that she has no doubt that my dd can do the work, but I am afraid that with the transition to middle school and more classes and teachers and soccer practice 3 nights a week that it could be to much!She had a 4.0 in fifth grade and is well behaved and kind. A great girl! Has anyone else had a child in the advanced subjects in middle school. How did it go for your child?

LovetoTeach247

Asked by LovetoTeach247 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If your daughter is highly motivated (it isn't just the ability, but the motivation level that needs to be considered) then the class might be great for her. I would ask her what she thinks....
    My son has to work really hard in regular classes and I know how very draining it can be, so I wouldn't put myself or my child into that situation voluntarily. I place a very high value on education, which I don't equate only with "achievement" but actual learning. Of course, I agree that kids should learn to put in an effort, but as I said, personality and motivation level are just as important as a test score in determining if they are suitable for an advanced class. Just as adults choose the kinds of career they wish to pursue, some prefer a less pressured environment.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would at least let her try it...she may not keep an exact 4.0, but, it will be weighted. And, the more advanced stuff she takes now, the more she can take in High School, or by then she could be done and able to take some College classes and already be a Sophomore in college by the time she graduates.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my kid is stupid....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Maybe is you didn't call them Stupid and worked with them..they could be in Advanced classes too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My dd started taking advanced classes in the 7th grade so she was a bit older than your girl. She had a lot of activities going on as well as moving to a new school, having to make new friends and all that comes with that. What I noticed was that way before her grades started to slip (in math) her understanding did. She just wasn't holding on to some of the new concepts. If your dh is working with her everyday he would definitely notice if she was having a problem. I would say let her try it out and challenge herself. If it becomes too difficult for her, get her a tutor or emove her from the class. At least she would have tried. Good luck to her!
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• How about asking your daughter what she wants to do? Afterall, she will be the one who has to do the homework for all of her classes, not anyone else. At my son's school, 6th grade honors math is prealgebra, my son was in it until he became to lazy to do the work and I pulled him out. There wasn't much more work than the regular math class.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• both my kids are in advanced math and here they get homework nightly but it's not an obscene amount.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Absolutely! Keep her brain working hard. My daughter is in a six year high school program. In 7th grade she had 3 high school classes: Honors Algebra, Honors Environmental Science, French 1; In 8th grade (just completed) five of her six classes were HS honors. She will graduate high school with at least one complete year of college credits, saving us at least 25% of college expenses.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Sure! My son is in 6th grade and will be completing 7th grade math this year. Next year (7th grade), he will be taking 8th grade math and science.
    If she has the talent and is willing to do the work, let her give it a try! You could always monitor her homework to be sure she is not getting overwhelmed or behind. Congratulations!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2009