Graduating parties.... for Kindergarden & Jr.High...

So this morning I seen Kelly Ripa & her husband on GMA & they said they were giving their son a graduation party for graduating Elementary. And there is also the Kindergarten Graduation fusses over.

Whats up with this new trend! Do you or will you ,participate in it?

When did it start?

(ill give my opinion below)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with last poster! Why should you be rewarded with a party for making it thru grammar school? High school and college yes.I bet these parents reward the kids for getting up everyday and going to school too! Yay! You did what is required of you! Great job! LOL!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Is this why every move our kids make they feel they should be rewarded with something bigger than the action taken to get there!?

Isnt the reward of being a good student getting good grades & passing to the next grades, going to a new school with bigger responsibilities, or is that just no longer good enough for our kids?

I thought going to school was something thats expected like brushing teeth, taking showers, being a good person...

Shouldnt kids just feel good about which way their life is going by observing themself!? A pat on the bat... Job Well Done!... Why is it now everything our kids do we must reward them with something materialistic - throwing a party - buying a new game system....

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have a kid graduating into high school (9th grade) a kid who just got done with kindergarten and a kid who is going into kindergarten all next year. And no, not a one of the will get a party. Thats for people with money to burn and I am sooo not that person.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My brother had a little party for my niece when she graduated kindergarten. They already had cake and stuff at the school so I saw no point in it what so ever. I absolutely hate parties though and I have to go to a college graduation party this week end.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• We didn't do anything when our kids graduated kindergarten (my middle daughter had hers last week).
    Here it is a big deal when you graduate 8th grade so I had a family party for mine back in 1991. Not sure what we will do for our kids (still have 5 years before we have someone graduating from 8th grade). But we don't throw parties for birthdays either so we probably won't do anything but go out to dinner.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• When I was a kid, my parents took my out for pizza for kindergarden graduation but that was it, lol. For HS graduation, we did another family dinner--same for college. We just weren't into the big parties. We didn't do anything for my DD graduating 8th grade or my DS graduating K last year & won't do anything for SD graduating K this year. Personally, I think they are a bit crazy. But I guess if I had money to throw away, I might think differently!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think it's a cool idea to celebrate a childs accomplishments such as those.These days,they need all the support they can get.When I was a preschool teacher, we made a big deal with a ceremony (cap,gown and all) followed by a little party afterwards for the parents and children, it was awesome.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I gave my son a backyard fun little bbq/party when he graduated from pre-K going into kindergarten. To each it's own...I wouldn't do a large bash but a celebration of thier accomplishments, yes.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What a difference 2 years makes. When my son left kindergarten, he just left kindergarten. By the time my daughter was that age, they had a big "graduation" march at school and a class party. She "graduated" the same year as Junie B Jones did, so I got her a copy of the book and wrote a little note in it. It balanced out -- they also did 5th grade graduations, so my son had that a few years later, but my daughter was at a different school for 5th grade, and they didn't do it. But yes, I think a whole huge, big-deal party for minor "graduations" is just ridiculous.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I really hope this is something my dd doesnt have in school... I think when u keep putting kids in cap n gowns or giving them "passing parties" its making the big senior yr even less important!
    And like i stated before, going to school is something I expect! If they do something well they are SAPPOSE TO DO -- they will be rewarded with praise, responsibility rewards (maybe staying out later, talking on the phone later, stuff that takes responsibility) and going out to dinner or something but to throw a shin-din is a little much! ..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009