Any one have baby sitter daughters? My 16 year old daughter wants to start a baby sitting business and I'm helping her with her plan. I'm using this an opportunity to teach her about business. Can you share your insights as to what are the most important considerations for you when hiring a sitter? Thanks ...

krdr

Asked by krdr at 10:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• That is a job and no friends are to be hanging out with her and also no phone use unless it's the parents or an emergency. No napping, she needs to know how to cook for the child/ren.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I can't help as a parent (my daughter has only been watched by family.), but I can help as a former teenage babysitter. I had started a "business" at 16 and I actually made quite a bit of money as word spread about me and I was babysitting pretty much every night of the week plus weekends - people even took me on vacation with them! :)

Some things that helped me:
    1) Being responsible. Parents could see that I was not just another teenager. I arrived 15 minutes early, asked for all of the important phone numbers. I had a binder I always brought with me with a sheet for each family. On that sheet was cellphone numbers, emergency contact info, allergies, bedtime routines, favorite movies, house rules etc. I always kept it and would have them look it over to see if anything changed.

Contd below:
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• 2)  Get her a planner! Or she can use the binder I spoke about. Either way, if she does this right, she is going to be busy and she needs to be able to keep track of her schedules, wages, and whatnot. Organization is key.

3) Last, make up a babysitter kit.  (I actually stole this from the Babysitters Club when I was little.) Kids get sick of their own movies and toys. Buy a couple of new movies (or rent them) and take those with you. Same with coloring books, toys, crafts, etc. The kids will be begging their parents to let your daughter watch them because they want to see what else she has in there! :)

MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Another thing she may want to do especially these days...contact your local hospital and/or red cross and find out about her taking a babysitter and infant/child cpr class. It would look good on paper and be some reassurance to parents...something other teens may not have.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 11:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Being reliable, on-time, and willing to actually care and interact with my child. That means changing diapers immediately, not thinking "The mom will be home in 15 minutes, I'll let her do it". It means NO phone, NO friends, NO boyfriend over.

Someone who is capable of making a simple lunch, pays attention to house rules, and learns my child's interests will be hired back again and again.

Good luck to her. Reliable, experienced babysitters are in high demand.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I babysit for only people I know and people that my people know well. Im not getting raped and killed sorry. I don't like babysitting for people I do not know because if I do not know their kids, theres a problem. One person I babysit for is my SO's sister. I know her, and I know her kids and I wont hesitate to yell at them if I have to or have fun with them.

I did it a few time for people I barely know, and I just didn't like it.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have teens and I expect that the family they babysit for...picks them up and brings them home.
    and when i ask how much they make they put it in a bank of some sort so it is not just cash sitting around.
    When I was A teen I babysat 7 days a week, because I played with the kids...never did I watch tv or have friends over...my job was those kids!! they came first...some sitters get oversized bags with "goodies and games" inside..the idea is to entertain the kids...the more you do so the more the word will spread that you are the best!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My 13 year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter. She charges $7 an hour; has four families she sits for on a regular basis. It turns out that parents prefer to leave their kids with a mature teen who knows CPR (she just signed up to take a refresher course) and first aid, to a flakey college student. She has a checking and savings account (tied to mine, until her 18th birthday); half of her earnings go to savings, half to checking.
    All of the families have been people we know, or friends of friends. She gets picked up and dropped off. Most pay by check.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009