does your adhd child act like a baby sometimes?

My son will be nine years old in August, he sometimes makes baby sounds and have such horrible tantrums that we have to pyhsiclly restrain him. Does anyone else have this problem. I am wondering if the medicine is making him act this way.

charmlife50

Asked by charmlife50 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not anymore. He did, but I put him in Anger Management and I don't allow him to act like that. The medicine is NOT making him act this way, being allowed to act this way is the issue. Just ignore him when he acts inappropriate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, I have had this problem as well. My son will all of a sudden make these weird baby sounds and goofy sounds and strange words that makes him look very immature (he's 10 1/2). It doesn't seem to bother him, but it's embarrassing to us when he does this in public. He is also on meds for his ADHD, but according to the doctor, it is not the meds. My husband's approach is to ignore it, but I've found that this only makes him (child) want to do it more. I personally think it's for attention. It's so frustrating!!!! I sometimes wonder if he'll be doing this as an adult!
    loridee21

Answer by loridee21 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 11 1/2 and was having tantrums at school and at home, but she was fortunate enough to have a teacher who insisted on treated her as "typical" (Kayla is autistic) and her emotional maturity has grown from Sept. to this June. Even her swim teacher, who she was always oppositional and babyish to, commented on how much more mature Kayla is. So the golden rule is to ignore the ineffective behavior, but can you sit and talk with your son?

There is a great book, Social Stories in picture form for kids to see the Right Behavior and the Wrong Behavior - it's for autistic kids but everyone, all ages can use it. My daughter loves it, relates to it, has a visualization of how the behavior looks - it's cartoon form but with real pictures.

Hopefully, he will not behave like this as an adult if people understand how your son thinks with his disorder, and how to modify his behavior.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The Social Skills Picture Book = Teaching play, emotion, and communication to children with autism (Paperback) by Dr. Jed Baker (Author) can be found on Amazon.com and you can read the reviews -- it is awesome and my daughter's school psychologist and social worker both recommended it. It's great and fun to read together - it has Thought Balloons and social, everyday situations. Not just for autistic kids.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Fortunately, we have not experienced this. The meds should calm him down, not make him have a tantrum. You may want to discuss this with your doctor if you already haven't. Also, I would document when he has the tantrums - there may be a pattern (time of day, after eating certain foods, etc..) and you could find out what may be triggering his episodes. Good Luck!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Another great book that you might want to look in to is No More Meltdowns by Jed Baker. It gives load of great advice on how to stop a tantrum and how to change things so tantrums over the same thing doesn't keep happening. I just finished the book and started making changes two weeks ago and there is such a big difference in my boys already.

LadybugsMonkeys

Answer by LadybugsMonkeys at 1:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Alot of kids begin to act worse after they find out that they are ADHD. I've had this problem with my 10 year old son. When he was diagnosed with ADHD and started taking medication, his behavior got 100 times worse. Weird noises, jumping around, not listening, the list goes on. His behavior was elevated in such an extreme way that we knew something was wrong.

He has been going to a counselor for the past year to deal with these things. After my Husband and I sat down with him, (my husband is adhd as well) we found out that our son felt like something was wrong with him (simply because he was given a label and medication) and this confused him and made him have self-esteem issues. After we explained to him that being ADHD doesn't mean he's broken or "weird" it only means that he has a disorder, like if someone has high blood pressure and needs to take medication, his behavior improved dramatically.

MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My best advice would be for you to talk with your son and find out what's wrong. Maybe he feels the same way that my son did and doesn't now how to handle the feelings that he's having.

I wish you all the best :-)
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My oldest daughter will b 9 in a couple weeks and probably has ODD and acts like that. She throws tantrums worse then a 2yo and cries more now then she did as an infant/toddler. It's insane and she gets violent towards her siblings. She's so tiny though (she's 4' and 45lbs). I told her today if she didn't knock it off one of these days her brother was just going to beat the snot out of her and I wasn't going to stop him (she's really bad to him and hits and kicks him for no reason...he's a year younger but 3" taller and 20lbs heavier but he's terrified of her).
    We're in the process of finding a therapist for her to work on her anger issues and get the ODD under control before she tears the family apart.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009