Should we require community service to receive welfare?

I'm not talking about unemployment, but actual welfare. If so, how many hours per week should we require and what type of jobs would we be able to have welfare recipients do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it would be a great idea--maybe cleaning up the parks. Or, how about helping out in the local food or clothing bank? Those places always need help. I'm sure it would be a difficult thing to balance as welfare is a state program--would the jobs all have to be things directly related to state owned facilities? Or would doing work that is for the city or county suffice? Also, what would you do about people on welfare who cannot work (physically)? It is one of those things that sounds great on paper but I think would be really hard to carry out. Interesting question.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ALOT of people on welfare actually work...so NO!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• How about the one's that don't work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Excluding those with disabilities and those that work but need welfare to make ends meet.

I think Obama's volunteerism plan would be difficult to really determine if someone has actually served their hours, but that went through, why not something like this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I can see where your going with this...and in many ways, yes..i think in some way repayment of some form would be nice..but if theyve worked at all and payed taxes..or are looking for work and recieving it temporarily..theyve technically payed into what they are recieving...its something that would need a lot of work to determine who has to do it and why and for how long...in general sounds okay...but would require soo much time and effort to make happen...

sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• By that theory, giving money away with no return is a better idea to stick with? Or is it just waiting for Obama to say what 'Change' he wants you to have in your life?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think that it would be beneficial for those who aren't working and also for those who are sitting back and collecting unemployment for a year or more at a time! I think it would be a great idea! I mean, atleast they are doing something for the money that most of us work our butts of to provide!
    BoysRuleMyHome

Answer by BoysRuleMyHome at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• As long as they were unemployed, (because why would you make a single mom already working her ass off work any more!?) and they weren't disabled, why not?
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• How about those on welfare that need help with skills for better paying jobs get to volunteer in jobs or careers and learn some skills so that they can get off of welfare.
    I think people should volunteer regardless if they are on welfare or not but if you are "forced" to then really it isn't volunteer work.
    I was a caseworker in the day before children and I had a client that "worked" so she had a job but she called in almost everyday with some excuse as to why she couldn't work . I think it would have been beneficial for her to have had a required number of hours she "had" to work to continue receiving welfare benefits.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• In addition to the 32-40 hours required in school or job searching? What do you think? Believe it or not most people on cash aid aren't sitting around drunk, high, or being lazy.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009