• In the Spotlight:

On the Radio this morning...

So i listen to Russ Parr every morning while im dropping my SO off at work..i love em..but anyways..a woman wrote in about Gays in the military...quite frankly..im annoyed and disgusted that people still have a problem with it!!! They wanna go to war and fight, GO, they have the chance to die, bleed, come home, whatever just like everyone else.why stop someone from defending out country if they wanted to!? i just dont understand!
Russ went on reading and the emai it went on to say something like its not that theyre not excepted in most cases its well known theyre gay, its just something thats not supposed to be flaunted and open when your on duty..being military you accept that your job isnt like other jobs and youve gotta suck it up basically...kinda hurt my heart..its okay for mil. men n women to talk about each other and what not, but when its the same sex their job comes into question...hmm UNFAIR and uncalled for!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see both sides of the issue...we are a military family

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" was enacted to prevent gays being excluded from serving in the military (b/c on the "books" it is illegal to be gay and serve). So, I believe that it serves a valid purpose until we can reppeal the law that makes gay service illegal.

That being said, I don't have any problems with gays serving in the military. There is a strict code of conduct that applies to ALL military personnel under various acts of service and they should be followed by everyone. If that happens, then it wouldn't matter who is gay or straight b/c nobody would be 'flaunting' any type of behavior that would be inappropriate.

Ex: While in uniform a soldier may not engage in PDA with anyone (I do belive this would include any kissing unless during a departure or arrival to/from deployment) They may hold hands only on the left side while in uniform, etc.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• its not unfair. the military is not about making pepole feel happy or secure in their sexuality. its about getting the mission done. and when someone is runnig around flaunting sexuality gay or not gay...it distracts.

god im so sock of this shit. ima proud veteran, my husabnd is a proud NCO still serving the military and we are both decorated with metals......we understand that the mililtary doesnt give a shit if a civilian doesnt understand it or doesnt like it, you do not understand so dont try.

any distraction...ANY distraction...can result in someone dying or the mission failing. and that is not acceptable, period.

if your gay...fine be gay...but dont run around falutning it, if your a female whore, be a whore. but again you dont falunt it. these are all distractions and need to be kept at bay period................you can be gay all you want...we had plenty of flaming gay men and lesbians. but you keep ti to your s
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I grew up in a military fam. Just never asked them this question. So since your in the military and you seemed to answer my first question so clearly...why the dont ask dont tell..if the only problem is being a distraction, which i completely understand whats the deal with it?! and im asking honestly because i dont know!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It's just a fact that many straight men and women (though not near as many)don't want gays in the military. There are still millions who don't believe in gay lifestyles and think these people are sickos. The service is a symbol of macho to many guys and having gays openly in the military doubles the feelings they may have about gays. It could bring alot of problems into the mix. Generals, Majors etc don't want extra problems thrown into the training process.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• OK. I have looked on Craigslist. In the personal part. There are many active duty men on there, or so they say, looking for a boyfriend for the night. If only I knew their 1st Sgt!! There are many men that think women should not be in the military. There are a lot of unfair things, like, I don't know, someone that is worth a damn and can do their job and more NOT getting promoted for some stupid reason. And someone that skates out of work, doesn't do their job but takes credit for it, THAT is what gets me.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009