Christians: Can you explain your beliefs without faith?

More than once I have read a question that says why do you believe _______ and don't tell me faith. Isn't faith the base of Christian belief? Is it fair to ask a question and say we cannot use a foundation word?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My faith is built on the word of God. If you are asking for proof of what I believe then no
    I cannot give you scientific proof of the existance of God, the authority and divine revelation of scripture.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Love, grace, forgiveness.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My faith is based on my personal relationship with God, which doesn't hold much in view of other people, as they can only hear about it secondhand. But its more than good enough for me.
    My relationship with Him leads my study and understanding and shapes my faith. I could explain things that I believe without saying "you have to have faith" - by showing things that support my beliefs or have led me to believe as I do, but you ultimately DO have to have faith to believe it yourself. Because that is the only way to believe something - to have faith in it - as there is no absolute and indisputable proof or evidence of any belief, other than personal experience or conviction, which only works for the person directly experiencing it or convicted of it.
    If it didn't take faith, there would be an absolute truth undeniable by everyone, if that makes sense.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• but you ultimately DO have to have faith to believe it yourself.

clapping

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have read a question that says why do you believe _______ and don't tell me faith

The point of those kinds of questions is asking what lead you to have faith in an idea being true in the first place. People didn't just wake up one day and spontaneously think, hey eating meat on Friday is wrong! There were reasons for it, and something that made it make sense to believe. You can twist a bible passage to mean anything you want, and could easily twist one to say Kill your child, but there must be some reason you'd think that was a logical choice, most people wouldn't just take that "on faith."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The book "the Case for Christ" was written by an athiest who tells of facts that scientist (archeaologists) have proven to be true in the Bible. It is an excellent read for skeptics! I ws raised a Christian, but I read it because i dont want to just believe what my parents have told me. It is good to research ad make an educated decision about where to place your faith so you dont end up in a cult or something.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I personally can't.

Faith IS my belief and what it's all about for me.
    It's not for everyone, but it works for me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If you want to be real about this... it takes faith to do anything in life... it takes faith to jump from a helicopter and your parachute opens, It takes faith to dive into the water and not drown, it takes faith to carry a baby full term , it takes faith to graduate from college with the degree of your dreams. It takes faith to go to sleep and believe you will wake up the next day.
    Many do not realise they have faith... every moment of the day.

I believe because I chose to have faith in the one that says He loves me and adores me and wants a personal relationship with me for eternity. It takes faith to trust He will never leave me nor forsake me.
    Even earthly relationships take faith!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Love...just the fact of knowing the Jesus died on the Cross so that I might have the right to the tree of life is why I believe.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I believe they are sequential. First you believe the Bible holds truths, then you have faith to accept the things in the Bible that seem beyond explanation, then you have comfort that God's grace will make your life full and rich. You cannot have one without the other. It's like trying to explain the chicken but not the egg.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009