Anyone else have 2 dinners each night, one for kids one for you and DH?

The kids need to eat dinner so early, 6:00. On the days I go into the office I don't even get home until then, and DH doesn't get home every day until 6:15 earliest. I always end up throwing something together for the kids, they sit down and eat, then we have our night, bath, etc. and off to bed they go, THEN DH and I have our own meal. Anyone else do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes. We do this too. My son is not only starving as soon as we walk in the door, but he is an extremely picky eater.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yup, lots of times! I have even had 3 dinners or 4. It can be tough getting everybody together at the same time!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh, my, no.

When dh was working odd schedules (because we were homeschooling and beholden to no one else's schedule), we all lived the odd schedule: if he was getting up at noon to go to work at 3, and coming home at midnight, we'd live backwards:

A snack first thing -- small breakfast, leftovers, whatever. I'd make a big lunch/dinner kind of thing, and we'd all eat around 2. Then, throughout the evening we'd eat more or less the rest of the meals we'd missed: lunch around 8, breakfast at about 11, or sometimes after dad got home. We'd all toddle off to bed between 1 and 2.

Both my kids tried to be picky eaters, but the cook wasn't having any of it. I made dinner, if they weren't hungry enough to eat it, that was fine, but there were no other choices until the next prepared meal. If the last meal was eaten, snacking on real food was fine (they ate a LOT of fruit!) but there was no 'have a pbj' alternative to the meal.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• When my dh worked all 3 shifts we did stuff like that all the time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes bc i want to enjoy my food while i can sit down and relax.... lol.. i will admit i look forward to dinner breakfast lunch whatever snack to much to waste my calories eating stand ing up.. its funny bc one night we ate with my son he is 19months old and then he went straight to the bath.. shower pj i didnt even sit and eat..and i felt short changed out of my meal.. plus my dh get off around 9 so thats way to late for toddler to eat..
    Anonymous

• I hope that you are all able to have breakfast together. Family meal time is a critcal part of child development.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My brother is an MD who came home late when his daughters were growing and his wife a stay at home mom. Their girls are now grown but they ate at 6PM, and then my brother and his wife ate a different meal at 8PM. It worked out great but it was like being at a Bed & Breakfast - my sister-in-law was at the stove and serving for hours. All healthy and happy.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009