What could this be...Not sleeping threw the night?

for awhile now my almost 3 yr old has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming, last night he did it and said I took his binky, I didn't I was trying to sleep and and then he said he had to pee so I took him pee, but when we got back to the room he started to scream again and being indisidive he wanted his binky then he didn't, he wanted to watch cartoons I turned them on and he cryed that it wasn't the right ones, I don' t know what this could be it's not this bad every night but he does wake up and cry then go back to sleep, I dont know how to soothe him threw the whole night.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 11:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Night terrors.

All you can do with this is be with them, and maybe distract them with something concrete and unrelated (I used to ask my kids what colour their eyes were, but 'where is the car?' and 'are your pajamas on?' would work, too)...

Night terrors are waking nightmares -- they're dreaming, but awake. It's as disorienting to them as it is to you. Sometimes it's because they're coming down with something. Sometimes it's because their day was too stressful. Sometimes it's because they don't know how to handle the pictures and sounds in their heads when they're waking up from dreaming, and it turns scary.

You can talk about what to do with dreams: ask them if they can find the popsicle, there is always a popsicle in dreams, or something else silly and innocent; or ask if they can see the pink fluffy bunny inside the monster costume.

Mostly, they need to learn that dreams aren't real. The don't know that.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• humm never heard of what was mentioned. i often just go in there and say whats wrong baby and lay her down and say it's time for night night. i put her back down and just cose the door. i often stand on the other side to see if i hear her crying or anything. although it may not be the same as what your experiencing. i'm so sorry. it must be frustating.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my four year son has had night terrors for at least 2 years almost everynight of his little life he cries and fights and the whole time he is asleep. here lately he has been saying there are bugs on him and lastnight it was ants all night. All we can do is hold him close to us and tell him he is alright and mommy and daddy will never let anything bad happen to him. This crap torchers him and its not good for us since we have to get up at 5:30 in the morning to get ready for work. The doctor said he would just have to outgrow it and she gave some sleeping medicine but it doesnt help anymore.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009