how can i stop my 1 yr old son from biteing

does any 1 have a tips i try everything i really need help

pruplemom

Asked by pruplemom at 11:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Depends on what he's biting.

If he's biting everything -- people, animals, railings -- just kinda generally, with no reference to his mood, he's just highly-oral still, and will be for a while. That means mom needs to be vigilant whenever he's around people (including mom) to watch for the open jaws that indicate he's about to chomp something. You can very gently control this motion by pressing quite lightly on his forehead, with a slightly upward and backward pressure. Kids tend to bite 'down' on things, so if you can stop his head making that downward motion, you'll be able to stop him from biting, too.

He may be teething, which is super-irritating and made a lot better by chomping on things -- so give him things to bite, and make sure you have whatever it is handy all the time, enabling you to replace whatever he was about to bite with the thing you have decided is okay to chew on.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Hi, I feel your pain,lol.When my son was that age,he was in daycare and i'd get a report almost everday that he was biting other kids.Some moms told me to bite him back..I was like,I don't think so,lol.I'm not biting my kid,no way. Out of pure loss..I ALMOST bit him back once..but I couldn't do it.So I just gave him a binky...assuming he just needed to fix that urge to bite or chew or whatever.It really did work for us,He hasd the binky till he was almost 3 and by then,he grew out of his biting stage.His daycare teachers threw fits about it but OH WELL.He didn't bite kids anymore and it worked...and thats all that mattered to me.Thats just my idea that worked for us.His teeth are just fine by thye way, that was an argument his daycare teachers gave me.I did ask his dr at the time too..and he said the same...whatever works,his teeth will be fine.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Are you talking just biting, or biting while nursing? There is two totally different approaches depending on which one it is. If he is biting in general, I urge you DO NOT BITE HIM BACK. a lot of parents do this, but it lacks logic and sends mixed signals. Your child sees it as, "Well Mommy bites, so it must be okay." Just firmly tell your child "Not a choice! Biting hurts! OW!" and redirect them to something they can chew on such as a toy or food. At this age children love to explore, with their mouths. Let me know if I can assist you any further!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 11:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• doctors say bite BACK
    Anonymous

• sounds mean but BITE BACK!!!!!!!!!! once they realize that it hurts they wont do it anymore. all kids go thru this phase.....now when i say bite back plz kno i dont mean hard just enuf to let them kno that it causes pain. goodluck!
    KeLiStA

Answer by KeLiStA at 7:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009