Last Name?

As i have stated before i am pregnant. my boyfriend has told me we will not be getting married or engaged anytime soon. I want to give the baby my last name just in case something should ever happen and he and i split. But if we ever do get married i will gladly have the child's name changed to his. When i brought up this subject to him he was mad. He said he wanted the baby to have his name regardless if we are married or not. He swears to me that we will never split up but how can he promise that when he doesn't know what the future holds? Anyway what do all of you think i should do? My name or his?

KJM87

Asked by KJM87 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have cousins who were in this situation and some of them gave their child(ren) both names. Eventually the relationships dissolved,  but atleast the child(ren) has both parents names.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Few questions before I can answer...how long have you been with BF? How old are both of you? Do you own a home together? I see a child in your profile pic, is that not his? What last name does that child have?

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Either go with dad's or hyphenate yours and his last name. Even if you were married when the baby was born there is no guarntee that the relationship will work, so I wouldn't really use that as my deciding factor.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I always said if I was in that spot the child would have my name cuz I know I will be there to provide for the kid and who knows about the sperm donor
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My bf and i have been together for almost 2 yrs. I am 21 he is 28. We at the moment live with his parents. But are working on trying to save for out own place. The little girl is his she is 6 yrs old and has his name.
    KJM87

Answer by KJM87 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It doesn't really matter --- do it however you want to. Personally, I think I would either hyphenate or give the baby my last name, but that's just me.

My husband & I have 4 kids, 3 boys & a girl. He has his last name, the kids & myself have mine. It's just how we decided to do it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Do whatever you are comfy with. My mother didn't feel comfy giving me my dad's name since her first marriage ended in divorce so I got her maiden name. My brother, on the other hand, never plans on marrying his woman but all of their children have his last name.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Im sure it will make him upset, but i would go with your last name. If you don't get married, you and your child will always have different last names. Someone told me in Texas that we had no choice that if you name a father on the birth certificate then the child will get there last name, but Im not sure if that is true, or something that was done in the past. If you do infact have a choice i would go with your lst name and change it if you get married.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• He has the right to his fathers name.
    Anonymous

• it saddens me that you are going to have a baby in this situation.why would you get pregnant if you didnt believe you would stay with this man.yes all relationships can desolve but you dont go having a baby thinking this.anyway.my daughter is married with a daughter and my daughter hyphanates her name but the baby clearly has the fathers last name...
    Anonymous