• In the Spotlight:

Temper Tantrums

My son will be 16 months tomorrow and has been having temper tantrums whenever my husband takes him away from me to get him dressed. He has also been screaming when I leave him at daycare but is fine two min. after I leave. How long does this last? Is this just seperation anxeity? It has only been for the last two weeks that he has been doing this. If I were to get him dressed, he would have no problem with it. And when we are just hanging out in the living room he is fine. Even when I bring him home from daycare, and he sees his dad, he gets mad that its not just me and him. Whats going on? Any advice?

NAT24ROXY24

Asked by NAT24ROXY24 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a temper tantrum monster. He's 16 months, and I'm pretty sure that every few weeks or so he finds a new reason to throw a 15 minute, snot-faced tantrum. For example, there was a time that bathtime became a two-parent event because my son just freaked out through the whole thing. Then he threw tantrums whenever his sippy cup was empty. After that we tantrumed because everytime we got in the car seat.....I could go on, but you get my point. One day they just stop and he finds something else to be mad at. I have found that ignoring him when he's in these out of control states is the best remedy. He's starting to learn that when he calms down he gets to sit on mommy's lap for big loves. :)
    PotatoMama

Answer by PotatoMama at 4:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i dont know i dont have that problem...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Okay
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It is a very common phase. My son was sort of like that when we dropped him off at daycare at that age. He didn't throw a tantrum, but he would get very clingy and fuss a little. I know he loves it there. The best thing to do at daycare is make your exit quick. Talk to the teacher, too. We worked it out at the time that she would hold him right away and that usually helped him. It only lasted a month or so. Now, at 20 months, he runs into his classroom with a big smile on my face and it is hard to get him to tell me good bye now because he is already playing by the time I put his bag away. Just this morning, I kept telling him bye, but he was already playing. Three of his classmates told me goodbye, but not him! LOL!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009