Media Bias?

Did you see this article: http://www.newsweek.com/id/200126

The column highlights findings of a recent Pew Research Center study on Presidential media coverage. The findings?

"The study examined 1,261 stories by The Post, The New York Times, ABC, CBS and NBC, NEWSWEEK magazine and the NewsHouron PBS. Favorable articles (42 percent) were double the unfavorable (20 percent), while the rest were "neutral" or "mixed." Obama's treatment contrasts sharply with coverage in the first two months of the Bush (22 percent of stories favorable) and Clinton (27 percent) presidencies. "

What are your thoughts? Surprised? Feeling vindicated? Think it's off the mark? What do *we* as a the viewing public do about getting more balanced news?

ldmrmom

Asked by ldmrmom at 11:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's why must not totally rely on gaining all there information on one or two news outlets. Educate yourself on the issues and use your better judgement to make the best decision you can. Even then one can still be wrong - remember no one is perfect. So, instead of relying on Newsweek, CNN or NBC to tell you how things are really do your own research.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Irregardless of which "side" you're on, slanted reporting does none of us any good. Personally? I want facts so I can make informed decisions. If the media is printing press releases and warm fuzzies, none of us can make informed decisions. How frightening!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Exactly why I don't watch the news or read the newspaper anymore. They media literally has control over everything. I got sick and tired of hearing about men dying in Iraq every single night while Bush was president but the second Obama took office, the only stories they covered were of his new dog and what Michelle was wearing. The war is not any less important now that Bush isn't president, but now that it can't be used against anyone, the media feels no need to cover it. People will fall for everything they hear or read. And its unfortunate because all they are doing is being brainwashed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• :claps: 11:55! Alot fell for the bs too.The media did all they could to make Bush out to be the devil.They damn well knew the majority of Americans cannot handle hearing about dead soldiers daily.They played it up astronomically because of their hate for GWB.Hollywood did the same thing.They got the reaction they wanted too alot of koolaide drinkers.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Did you notice all the movies Hollywood put out casting repubs/conservatives in the worst light possible? I sure as heck have noticed.NAH no bias at all LOL (sarcasm).
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The youngins esp ate it all right up.Which was the medias modus operandi.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I don't think there is anything we can do. We are only told what the media are told, and who knows how much of that is true. The only people who really know the truth are the ones who experienced it. I can't even say the ones who were there, because you can't even believe everything you see.  I don't watch the news.  I don't read the paper.  I do read headlines at Yahoo, and I read TIME, but that is it as far as news sources.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yeah, the media reports what sells. They are no longer about accuracy or integrity, they are about profits and the bottom line. Why else would Anna Nicole or Michael Jackson have been headlines. When more people care about American Idol anf Jon & Kate that's what you get.

That's Capitalism, baby. Don't like it? Don't give your money to outlets you feel are biased.

It is our responsibility to use all the resources available to try and find the truth.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• That is why those with common sense don't rely on this sources for news.
    Anonymous

• Oh I love capitalism and no I do not tune into the radical liberal bias news.I may peek every now and then to hear just how ridiculous it has become that is about it.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009