Breastfeeding moms:

Does your hubby/SO support you? Meaning does he help give you time and space when you are nursing? Does he offer to get you anything while you are nursing? or does he ignore you or get annoyed when you ask for something or for him to do something? I dont think that some hubbys realize how demanding nursing a baby is. Yes it is rewarding and very fullfilling but it is demanding and hard work..especially if you have other children. How can I make him understnad this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first day I went to work and he had to watch our baby he said he was sorry and didn't know how I did it. Now he will go get anything anytime to help.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh girl, I am with you! For the first few months of breastfeeding both of my children DH always said, "Why don't you just bottle feed? How long are you going to do this?" And I fully expect to hear it again once she is a year old since I plan to nurse to at least two. When I ask him to bring me something or take care of our oldest, he is pretty good about it now, but in the beginning it was like pulling teeth! If yours is anything like mine, it will get better with time. Just remind him you are doing what is best for your and the children!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 11:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would write down a schedule of what you do every day including when you nurse.
    ex
    7am wake up
    7:05am - 7:45 nurse
    8am make breakfast
    etc

Show him how long you nurse and how many times a day and explain to him how when that happens you can't get up and do things. you just have to sit there till the baby is done. I got lucky with this. my DF always asked if i needed anything while i was nursing, still does infact. But i did have to show him one day exactly how demanding it is to be a mother. I just don't sit at home and watch tv & sleep all day.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 11:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• He was more helpful with our first daughter then now. He just acts like its a big inconvenience to help...grrrrr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• talk to him. be VERY specific. I've noticed sometimes with guys if you don't get really specific they don't get it lol
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 11:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i feel ya to. noe i grab what im goona need quickly then sit down and nurse. i nurse in our recliner so i try to have gas drops, burp cloth, remote, my phone(on vibrate) and water or something to drink then he tends to the other 2. once i remind him of course. then i tell him thank you. he appreciates the thank you part.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• and explain to him your trying but you can't get it all done.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My DH has been a big ole twat lately and thats all im going to say about it
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, my DH helps me a lot when I'm nursing. In the beginning, I would constantly ask him to get me water or food or whatever and he never got annoyed about it. Actually, he feels bad that I have to do so much work. I don't need as much help now that I"ve been doing it for 3 mos. but he still helps out. Maybe if you tell him exactly what you want, he can help more. I find that my DH needs to be told exactly what to do otherwise he won't always help
    Anonymous