If down syndrome can be detected before the child is born then Autism can also be detected before a child is born...don't you think? Genetics!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• There was a recent study done at UCLA that has pinp pointed one gene that actually is a factor in Autism. But it's just one. And, no, they aren't doing it to create a "cure." They are doing it to find the cause.
    Are you really just trying to tik people off, cause you seem to be doing a really good job of it. So, congrats, you win biggest b***h of the day on CM.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They can't because Autism comes on later in life. Well, it becomes apparent later. With Down's Syndrome there are markers for it. With Autism, they are harder to find and diagnose. It's like diabetes...your really only know you have it when you are I think, like 2 or 3 or even a little later....they don't test before birth with that either...and it is Genetics.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my thought is that autism maybe not one those genes that can be picked up..i maybe wrong.my daughter had a learning dis..and her husband had add plus tourettes.the docs said that they couldnt pick up the learning dis but they can detect the tourettes and she is being gene tested for this.i guess it takes a long time.(i forgot to mention that my daughter does have a daughter of her own)
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm sure scientists are working on a test that would detect Autism if it was hereditary.
    Anonymous

• Ha Ha. I am sorry, the last post makes me laugh. Scientists working on a drug for Austism? What with this becoming such a big money maker in the US? I don't think so. They won't cure Cancer or the common cold. It's too much of a money maker.
    Anonymous

• They won't cure Cancer or the common cold. It's too much of a money maker.

Are you saying that some people profit from diseases? Nuts!
    Anonymous

• Ha Ha. I am sorry, the last post makes me laugh. Scientists working on a drug for Austism?

I said "test to detect autism". But actually I can find some sense of what you said. Thanks
    Anonymous

• Where did she say "drug"? She said TEST.
    Anonymous

• No one said anything about a drug to cure it. Just a test to diagnose it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• These is way some things should be left alone. When we don't seem to know the whole context is not simple to discuss something so controversial such Autism. I guess we will never know what exactly Autism is. Thanks to all the posters. OP
    Anonymous