Rainbow attire

When i was a kid rainbows were very much "in" now there is a new symbol for the rainbow. My daughter received a shirt with a rainbow on it. It doesn't bother me but I wonder if I should limit her wearing it to around the house and not church functions. IMO, a symbol or picture is what you make of it but some ppl do make the rainbow a bad symbol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The rainbow is fine. It represents God's covenant with Noah. I think someone might have already said that, but I'm pretty sure that this post got hijacked by angry people so I wanted to reiterate it. :)
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I've never heard of it being bad, but i think it is a gay symbol. If Im wrong educate me, but that's what Ive heard.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• its kind of a shame, isn't it, that people are so wrapped up in their own prejudices that they have to associate everything with them. instead of a rainbow just being a rainbow to them, or even being the symbol from God to Noah, they insist on associating it with something that bothers them, so much to the fact that ANY rainbow they see is offensive. a rainbow can be JUST a rainbow....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes I can feel that way bandgeek, but not everyone does and shouldn't i have respect for church members?
    Anonymous

• A rainbow can easily just be a rainbow. You needn't limit your daughter's wearing of it. If she's a child, it's just something pretty children like. Mine has a shirt with a rainbow on it. And lots of books with pictures of rainbows. If she's a teenager, oh well- if people's minds will go there, they'll go there. Don't give in to the "hip" meaning of the rainbow by surrendering it.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• She's a child. I am sure most people will realize that it is just a pretty rainbow on a little girl's shirt. It's not like there is a "Support gay rights" message tattooed across the back of it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• A rainbow is a rainbow. Don't forget that it was also a symbol of God's covenant with Noah. If someone at your church has a problem with rainbows, feel free to politely point that fact out.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• she is 15
    Anonymous

• Well, if she is 15, then I'm sure she is old enough to understand that the rainbow can have a 'meaning' behind it. Ask HER how she feels about the rainbow and if she feels that wearing around church functions would cause a disturbance. Or maybe she feels comfortable enough to wear it and can explain on her own that she wears it b/c she likes rainbows and that it doesn't stand for a symbol of anything.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I honestly don't think most church members would see your daughters shirt and think something bad about it. I'm assuming your Christian, and Christians believe that the rainbow is a sign from God, if someone were to give you a problem about it (which again seems unlikely to me) I would just quote the Bible. I think most church goers are in attendance for spiritual fulfillment & learning & connecting, not to criticize a young girls rainbow shirt.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009