what kind of detergent do you use with your newborn?

i used dreft with my last baby but i'm curious if there is something else?and do you use fabric softner with it?

ilovemylilymae

Asked by ilovemylilymae at 12:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I used Dreft when she was a little baby, but I use All Free Clear now, and I think that would have worked just fine with a new baby too. (Cause mine has sensitive skin). I don't use fabric softener on my daughter's clothes. Usually only on my husband's work clothes.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son is 10 months now. I used Gain detergent, liquid softener and dryer sheets before he was born and I never stopped. I don't get the issue with special detergent for baby's clothes, unless of course they show an allergic reaction or have very sensitive skin.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I used Tide and added baked soda. My child never broke out in a rash.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I did use Downy April Fresh.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I used purex baby soft. But so many of them are free of perfumes, which is great for babies. We did use fabric softener, and they didn't have a problem with it.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I used ALL free and clear. Cheaper than baby detergent and no fragrance. I believe its even more gentle than the baby stuff cause the baby stuff even has fragrance. I also used no softener. I put vinegar in a downy ball as softner. :)
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I use Seventh Generation Free and Clear for us and plan on using it for our baby's clothes, too. I also use Seventh Generation fabric softener - blue eucalyptus and lavender. I will be using something else for her cloth diapers, though and no fabric softener with the diapers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i talked to my mom about that because that dreft is NOT cheap.... its harder for single moms. she never used it with me any my brother. i think you should only use it if the baby is REALLY sensitive to regular detergent. i dont think fabric softener will do any harm....
    HeatherAnne6286

Answer by HeatherAnne6286 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i used dreft, but its expensive. all free and clear is what i use for my child who has hyper-sensitive skin. or any all honestly. also, ivory snow is good. and i think i saw some tide baby a few weeks ago at the walmart.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I use Dreft still for my 5 month old. She has somewhat sensitive skin, but the reason I use it is because it works better on the spit up and poop stains than my regular detergent...any regular detergent I have used since she was born. If I have a "good" shirt of mine that got caught in the crossfire, I toss it in with the baby's clothes. Yes, Dreft is more expensive, but to me, it;s worth not having to go through the hassle of remembering to pre-treat or soak. I do use fabric softener, the Downy that is perfume and dye free.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 1:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2009