motrin or tylenol? that is the ?

what do u use when your child has a fever? or do u use nothing at all.. i tend to lean towards motrin...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• motrin after 6 months or so and tylenol before that
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Motrin, but only when the fever reaches the following level:

0-12 months 101 or higher
    1-2 years 102 or higher
    2-3 years 103 or higher
    3 and up 104 or higher.

Fever is the bodies way of killing the virus/bacteria and I think we should let it do it's job.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If it's a low fever I usually don't give anything at first and wait to see if it will go away on it's own. After 6 months I prefer Motrin, but if it's a really bad fever I will do the Tylenol/Motrin combo where you alternate them every 3 hours.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I don't give anything for a low fever as that's healthy - for a higher fever - I alternate, especially with my older kids - Tylenol will typically break a fever better than Motrin but it won't keep it down as well - so every 2 hours for a very high temp give one then the other.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Motrin is a fever reducer, pain reliver, and anti-inflamatory. I mostly use Motrin.

Tylenol is a fever reducer and pain reliever.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Motrin, but only when it's really bad. Motrin simply lasts longer than Tylenol.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My mom and I go around and around on this. Here are great articles on fevers.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=832
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I use motrin. It lasts longer and in my opinion it works better.
    mnmplusfive

Answer by mnmplusfive at 1:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• we usually use Tylenol because it's what we have on hand. I don't treat a fever unless the kids are burning up or absolutely miserable from some other symptom. They prefer the Tylenol because of the taste. They don't like the flavors that the Motrin comes in and will refuse to take it even if they are miserable.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I don't use anything unless it's a pretty high fever. When I do, I use Motrin. It works almost instantly on my kids, and it lasts longer. When I give them Tylenol, I might as well give them a drink of water for all the effect it has.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009