Kids VS Video Games

My stepson is 8 and is addicted to video games. It's never been a problem before at his moms house.. That's her babysitter (the games) and now when he gets here, he wants to play 24/7!! I dont' mind playing when we aren't doing anything or before bed or anything like that.. But it's gotten to the point where when I tell him we're leaving and to turn them off, he screams and cries and gets rude!! I could go into detail about it , but just trust me! It's awful. Well I threatened last week that if it happened again, I'd take him, and we'd go sell them back to the store. My question is.. Would you do this? We have about 6 problems a day from him.. and his dad wants me to just let it go, because he doesn't want to upset him bad enough that he doesn't want to come back, but he works all weekend, and I'm tired from the fights!

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• By the way.. When I say he screams.. He has rushed to punch me and kick me! He's headbutted me when I sat down beside him to explain why we can't play them. He's tried different little moves on my dogs that he learned on the video games. He has screamed so loud, I had to drag him out of the parking lot, when he wanted to take his nintendo DS in the store, and I said no.. ITs' beyond just throwing fits and getting upset
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• First off you had better have a long heart to heart with you husband over this issue. He is basically you look like the evil stepmom when he doesn't step in and discipline his son.
    I will tell you one thing if my 8 yr old were to do something like that, he would be spending his summer in his bedroom with nothing but a bed and 4 walls...
    I would take the game away and put down house rules as to when and how long the game is allowed to be played and if these rules are broken and or if he throws another tantrum over it, then it's in the trash...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree with gmasboy. Talk to DH. This is an issue you have to get a grip on now. Set up some kind of ground rules that your DH and you both agree are fare, and then have him help you stick with it. If your stepson breaks the rules, than take the games away. I wouldn't trash them, but maybe take them away for a day/week/month, depending on the offense. You need to teach your stepson that he is there to spend time with his family, not just play video games.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Video games are a privelage, not a right. Make him earn the privelage of getting to play. If he throws a fit about the games...then he doesn't get to play that day. If he continues, he's done for the rest of the time he's with you guys.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son is only 5 and knows if he gets mad and throws a fit when I say it is time to turn the game off. He does not get it at all that day or the next. You could try a timer, he gets a set time to play or if you know you are leaving in 30 mins then set the timer when it goes off so does the game.
    Good luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Wow, those fits are horrible! I would not tolerate that. There seems to be more issues then to much video games. You really need to have a talk with you husband, and tell him that its not okay for his son to treat you like that. You shouldn't have to put with that. Then I would take away the video games for at least a month. Just so he can get used to living without it. Then give it back with limits. And if the limits are broken, he loses the games again. He needs to learn to respect you and your home.

mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• okay first of all do not give a threat of punishment unless you are 100% sure you will do it. second DH has to back you up 100% third I would do one of 2 things....#1 give him just so much time per day on the games.......OR make him earn time on the games if he plays nicely outside for an hour he can earn 30 minutes of videos. If he does extra chores he can earn more time on videos. Have the chore that needs to be done (what and how much) and how much video times he earns clearly stated. If he acts up hits cusses punches etc he will then lose time with video games. Stay strong. and if he really acts up tell him he will lose them for a day then 2 then 3 etc etc You will have a long hard fight ahead of you but it will be worth it in the long run good luck

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Kids crave limits. It is important that he understands that rules and limits are given out of love, not to hurt him.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• First of all a child should not play Video games for more than an hour a day! Secondly what kind of games is he playing, often I have noticed parents will let their children play games that are rated for Teenagers and Mature audiences. These games are extremely violent and make children agressive. It is unhealthy for a child his age to have no other interests besides games. Get him involved in clubs such as Boy Scouts or Karate etc and let him discover life. I would say remove the games completely.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 7:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009