Kids and Video Games.. PIOG

My stepson is 8 and is addicted to video games. It's never been a problem before at his moms house.. That's her babysitter (the games) and now when he gets here, he wants to play 24/7!! I dont' mind playing when we aren't doing anything or before bed or anything like that.. But it's gotten to the point where when I tell him we're leaving and to turn them off, he screams and cries and gets rude!! I could go into detail about it , but just trust me! It's awful. Well I threatened last week that if it happened again, I'd take him, and we'd go sell them back to the store. My question is.. Would you do this? We have about 6 problems a day from him.. and his dad wants me to just let it go, because he doesn't want to upset him bad enough that he doesn't want to come back, but he works all weekend, and I'm tired from the fights!

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• By the way.. When I say he screams.. He has rushed to punch me and kick me! He's headbutted me when I sat down beside him to explain why we can't play them. He's tried different little moves on my dogs that he learned on the video games. He has screamed so loud, I had to drag him out of the parking lot, when he wanted to take his nintendo DS in the store, and I said no.. ITs' beyond just throwing fits and getting upset
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• its like anything good in life..in moderation. explain to him that things like video games, chocolate, tv etc etc. are all t hings that are wonderful but they have to be used in moderation or else they will be stopped completely.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• maybe when he goes to bed at night you should remove the whole Nintendo set and just get rid of it seems like he is picking up all the violence off the games he is playing or just buy him so knew games like adventure and learning come on he is 8 u are in control and never let him lay a hand on u i would of Putin him in his room and take that dam game from him and then told him all done no more let him scream fight and cry ur in control not a 8 year old little boy good luck!!!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• what kind of games is an 8y/o playing where he can do the "moves" on the dogs, they are rated for a reason....no, he shouldn't constantly play, but if he is going to play some, check the rating
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• just to asy...i really hate it when ppl blame the video games for violence. thats not true.....its up to the parents to control that.

its just a matter of makign sure you explain it to him and he understands games are a false reality, and they can not be acted out in real life or else he gets grounded from games/tv etc etc. until he learns
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• He doesn't play violent games.. He has a spongebob game where he has acted out the way spongebob jumps and lands on his hands.. That's what he has done to the dogs.. and I'm not blaming the games for him being that way.. I just think he's so into them, that he's believing whats really happening.. And mainly my question was.. Am I being horrible for taking them back to the store? His dad works 10 to 7 on saturday and 8 to 5 on sunday. I pick him up friday night and he sees him saturday morning, saturday night and like 20 minutes before work on sunday, then i take him home at 4.. soo.. it's really me being the parent if that makes sense! I jsut want to show him that I'm tired of it! and i wont' put up with it anymore
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If he's being violent towards you it's time to take a hammer to the game system or take it away COMPLETELY!!! My nephew has this problem. It makes me sick when people use video games or TV for a babysitter. I refuse to buy video game systems. We had one gifted to us but we play it once a month if that
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• personally no i dont think you are doing anything wrong. i would take them away. maybe not back to the store but hide them or somthing and tell your stepson that until his attitude towards you changes he cant have them back. his dad needs to be there when you talk to him about this so the boy can see that his dad feels the same way that might make him understand that his actions are unacceptable. thats just my opinion i hope it helps
    ChloeMom0709

Answer by ChloeMom0709 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009