Is your dog a picky eater?

What dio you do? I buy her different bags of food each time but I know I shouldn't, it's probably not good to change it but she seems to 'get sick of it' otherwise... Any suggestions?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pets

• buy her the same brand of food but change the flavor they have different flavors of dog food. thats what i do with my dogs
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What about purina, like purina dog chow to purina one to purina naturals? Is that kind of change okay?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I suggest Eukenuba Lamb and Rice I swear by this stuff and my 13 year old dog loves it he never gets tired of it....and please dear stop switching it often it can really mess with her tummy also if you do need to change it to another type or brand do it slowly mix it half and half at first and then gradually over a few days time increase the new food over time this will wean her tummy off slowly and it will help her digestion process.....if she gets runny stool during the switch then add about a cup of cooked rice (you can microwave rice in water till it cooks and store it in zippies and warm it up a bit before mixing it in her food) this will help with liquid absorption in her tummy and cut down on the runs....I hope this helps....Take care dear and hug the babies for me....Peace and blessings
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, they can be. Switching their food like that upsets their system. My dog is a little picky, but he gets diet food. He was neutered, and is getting a little chunky. He is picky on his beer though. He likes Guiness. I am answering anon, so I don't get bashed. He didn't get drunk, and didn't have any obvious side effects. He had grilled pizza and some Guiness!
    Anonymous

• a ramli- hey! Well i know all fo that because I went to vet tech school for 7 months and even knowing that it can upset her stomach I still do it. Not as often as it seems, we'll try a few bags of one thing and switch. We stay within the same brand but different kinds... She really is picky, I mean, she would just rather not eat if she doesn't like it. So thats when I gave in, just so she would eat. I didn't want her to go hungary and even when people say " she'll eat when she gets hungary", I don't think it's true for her. She will let it sit for two days until I give in! I don't knwo what I can do. She will eat it with a little canned food mixed in. Do you think it would be best to stick with the same dry food and continue mixing the canned food in?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• our standard poodle is very picky but she is the same with all dog food that we have gotten. i really don't think it has to do with the taste. it just seems that she is not a big eater and she can let the same morning bowl sit there all day until she completes it. i think that is part of who she is. i'm glad too cause her breed tends to get blout so if she is careful then it's helps to reduce the risk of her getting that and dying.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with switching foods provided your dog's GI tract doesn't mind. We have a 9 month old Ibizan that switches food every 4lb bag or less. She even tires of raw food after a few days. Sometimes it is in the best interest of the pet to make sure they are eating vice what they are eating. We have never had a problem with Danni switching this often. I once came from the school of thought that an animal would not deliberately starve itself, that he/she would eventually eat if nothing else were offered. I have found this not to be the case with all dogs. Danni went 7 days protesting the food bowl. I realized I was being selfish and not tending to her needs. I have since changed my views and make this known in practice.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 3:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I rotate foods regularly. My Boxer is not picky at all, but I know I would not want to eat the same stuff every day of my life, and I don't want him to have to either. There are several varieties out there that have different formulas you can switch between, as well as changing brands. I rotate between poultry formulas, fish formulas, beef/venison formulas, etc. It keeps things interesting and my dog is happy and healthy. Dogs are definitely not meant to eat the same thing forever and ever.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Have you tried adding chicken and rice to the food? That usually does the trick for picky eaters at the kennel I work at. Sometimes even adding baby food works!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Have you tried just adding a little gravy to the food. I had a black lab who was extremly picky eater. I couldn't get her to eat anything untill I tried the dog food that you put some water on it and it turned it into a dog food gravy mix. It was the only thing I could get her to eat. Good luck
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009