• In the Spotlight:

is drinking too much milk bad for kids?

my son is almost 2 and he is a picky eater. he's starting to get better, but he still just wants to drink milk all day everyday. i know it's good for his bones and development, but he would rather drink that than eat food. is this bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Your child would have to drink tons of milk and eat very little of other foods to get anemia fom drinking to much. Most children will drink and not eat other foods. My son drank 1 gallon a day (no joke) as a toddler. But his diet was very healthy home cooked/grown vegs and meats very balanced. He had no problem with anemia. However, most people do not realize that milk can cause a decay on the teeth if it is not brushed off. Example: Milk before bed after teeth have been brushed will cause the decay around the gums.
    brantley999

Answer by brantley999 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I've always wondered that, too!  When ds was little he ALWAYS DRANK MILK.  Nothing bad ever happened.  BUT I figured it'd be a lot healthier if he was drinking other things :-)

ThorMom21

Answer by ThorMom21 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• www.notmilk.com

These guys are a bit extreme but they do make some good points.  My kids still drink milk but not nearly as much as they used to.  I fail to see the benefit in it anymore. 

Instead of giving him a full cup at meals, give him half and see if he will eat.  He needs the nutrients from real food.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• We make the kids eat 1/2 their meal b4 we even fix their drink. Doesn't matter what they drink, my kids will get full on fluids & not eat, so we started doing what my df's mom did w/her 10 kids & all her nieces & nephews & grandkids she reared. It works.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 1:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, if toddlers drink more than 24oz. of milk per day it can lead to anemia. It fills them up too much, so then they aren't hungry for the foods that they need. If your little one is drinking more than that in a day, it would be best to cut back on the milk and offer water to drink. Be sure he's getting plenty of foods that are high in iron and vitamin C as well. Calcium blocks the absorption of iron, but vit. C helps them absorb the iron from foods.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes it is bad.
    first off, if he's drinking milk instead of eating his food he can get somethig professionals in early childhood education call milk anemia. That means that he wont get THE OTHER nutrients he needs from food. There are other important things to eat besides calcuim and vitamin D.
    Secondly, many people choose not to drink cows milk at all because it has a casual link to allergies and repitaory problems.
    Change your sons habits for his health. ...i dont necessarily mean dont give him any more milk ...but you might want to pay more attention to how much you give him. good luck
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My kids drink lots of milk I have no problem with it. I do make sure to stop 1 hour befor meals and then only give small amounts throughout the meal. This helps us. I say eat 2 bites of this or that and you get some more milk, if they dont eat then they get no milk. ot may take a few days but they will get the point. I mean no milk at all after that only sips of water as needed and no snacks. thats the best way i get my kids to eat their meals.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes.

Too much milk can cause anemia for one thing. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/ida/ida_whoisatrisk.html

Too much milk also fills them up so they are not hungry for actual food.

Limit him to about 20 ounces of dairy a day. That includes all dairy - cheese, ice cream, yogurt, etc.
    Do not let him walk around with a sippy cup of milk. Give it to him at set times only: breakfast and the afternoon snack for example.
    Do not let him have milk at lunch or dinner until the meal is at least half over. He'll gulp the milk and not eat any food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, too much milk can make bones too soft so they can break easier and cause other issues. According to my sons pediatrician, kids over 1 yr should only be getting 8 oz of milk a day, 4 oz of full strength 100% juice and the rest should be water. Have him eat before he gets any liquid, it really works to get kids to eat. I worked in a preschool and none of the kids got liquids until they ate half of their food. The kids ate more food and less milk, juice, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes but not for the reasons everyone else is saying. My husband has first hand experience with this. He would drink a gallon of milk every 1-2 days. He ended up with calcium deposits in his ankle. It swelled and hurt horribly. He had to be on crutches for awhile and stop drinking milk to make it go away. After hearing this I limited our toddler's milk intake. I'm not worried about anemia but about him getting a painful calcium deposit.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009