Can my dog sleep in the same room as me and the baby?

I'm an expecting mother, in a debate with my husband about keeping the crib in our room while we make renovations to our house. While I've giving my arguments he points out that I haven't considered what we'd do with our dog who currently shares our room at night. I'm wondering if it would really be a problem to have us all sleep in the same room. My dog wouldn't fit in the crib, and is very well behaved, but maybe there's something I'm not considering that might be bad for the baby. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Much Love

Splanchart

Asked by Splanchart at 1:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a wonderful dog who sleeps in my room with me and my son while daddy is deployed he is in a toddler bed and all my dog does is curl up at the side of his bed and sleep she never bothers him at all. If it does come down to it though you can always get a kennel for the dog, they are not as bad as it seems mine gets in the kennel during the day while we are gone and at night if she just cant settle down and sleep. i hope this helps
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 1:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Unless the baby ends up allergic 2 pet dander I dnt see why it would be a problem as long as u dnt leave dog & baby alone.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 1:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• As long there is no way the dog can suffocate the baby i dont see why not. My cat is very good and I have never had a problem with him.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i would have to say yes the dog should be able to still sleep in the room with yall. one things is that you really can't change to dog's routine up that much because of the baby .dogs have feelings as well and if you no longer allow the dog to sleep there he /she might take it out on the baby ...mainly out of jealousy...hope this helps
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 1:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ha ha me and my 4 month old bed share in another room and daddy is in master well we have a jack russel mix who wont leave my side and he actually sleeps in the bed with me, he knows to stay at the end and doesnt bother her or me at all, however i wish he would sleep with dad. haha i dont think a crib would bother a dog at all
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my dog sleeps in bed with me and the baby and hubby. there is nothing wrong with it as long as u know u have a good dog who is not going to trample the baby. and especially if the baby is in the crib, there is nothing wrong with it
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well my dog and newborn baby slept in the bed with us! My dog is a papillon and only weighs about 8 lbs. plus she's very alert and knows to be gentle with the baby, so...
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Our dogs have always slept in our room on the floor and I don't think it is a problem unless LO ends up allergic. Our cat is the one I had to worry about though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009