Am I doing this all wrong?

At what age should your baby start to try to feed themselves..Ie spaghetti and yogurt.? and also my baby still drinks out of the bottle..17 months old...how do i get her to stop???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine was learning to use a spoon before a year...but, I know some kids tha are 2 and 3 and can't. I say, just start trying to help your baby use and learn and go from there...as far as the bottle...If you think you and your baby are ready, then introduce a sippy cup...if she can drink fine from it, then just no longer use the bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• well all babies start things at different times ..they do it when they feel like they are ready. my daughter is 11 months old and wants nothing but to feed herself .I try to cook as much finger food as possible but sometimes i have to fed her myself and she has a fit. this is what i did ..cook food with different textures and let her feel it with her hand and then show her how to eat ..keep practicing with her and she will get the hang of it.as far as the bottle go put her favorite drink in a sippy cup and let her try it ..let her get the understanding that she will not get it in a bottle and if she wants it then she has to get it out of the cup ..after a while she will be doing it by herself in no time
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 1:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thank you ladies :) This will help!!! :)
    Anonymous

• My daughter is almost 19 months. I give her a fork or spoon and let her feed herself, but she mostly ends up using her hands and making a huge mess. That's probably not very helpful, sorry.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have 4 kids and they all started at different times because they develope differently. With our youngest, 18 mo, she started self feeding at about 9 mo way earlier than sibs. Her Dr. told us that to take the bottle away at her 15mo check, he said that around 18mo is when it becomes more like a teddy bear or blanket for comfort than just a drink, so switch to a sippy cup soon. My oldest mostly dumped his food on himself until he was 2. LOL. GOOD LUCK!
    Tee_L

Answer by Tee_L at 2:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009