What would you do if you were pregnant and found out your baby had a defect?

My sister-n-law is pregnant and her genetic disorder test came back positive. (down syndrome, brain disorders, or spinal something... they are doing more testing it could be a false positive ) When I was talking to my husband about this he said he would abort the pregnancy because the life of the child would not be a good one. Would you do the same? What if you were told you only had a 2% chance of getting pregnant in the first place like my sister-n-law?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would want to know exactly what was wrong. I would have an amnioscentisis done. I would keep my baby if it were down syndrome. But serious brain disorders or spinal problems that would leave my child trapped in her own body, no I would abort. I know of people with cerebral palsy and seeing what life is like for them and their families, I would abort.

Call me all the hateful names you want. But I know that when my best friend's father can no longer take care of her sister with cerebral palsy, that she is the one who will take care of her for the rest of her life. Changing her diapers. I won't leave a burden like that on my daughter.

And yes, I would also abort if it was necessary to save my life. My daughter needs her mother. And I want her to have the brightest possible future where she can sieze opportunities that come her way rather than worrying about caring for her sibling rather than living her own life.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i was in that boat once and i decided not to abort it. my genetic test came back positive so i had an amnio done and it proved that there was nothing wrong with my baby. but before i even knew the results of the amnio i knew i'd still keep the baby, i was already like 22 weeks and, defective or not, i could not abort a baby especially at that gestational age. i hope the best for your sister in law!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• OKay...I would Pray..Next two of my friends were told that there baby would have down syndrome and both are healthy...Becareful...dr's are only human..there are a lot of false positives out there....There is a reason god gave you the beautiful life even if it's not 100 % healthy...:)
    Anonymous

• My mother had German Measles when she was pregnant with my sister, all doctors told her to abort b/c she would most likely be born with defects. Well, my mom decided not to abort and she is now a happy, healthy straight A college student.
    Anonymous

• I had test results and ultra sounds that said my daughter would not have correctly formed kidneys...they said she would need a transplant...I keep her and she was born prefectly...kidneys were a little slow but they formed normally..and she is now a senior in High School, honor roll, no drugs drinking or sex...picking out colleges..she wants to be an OB/GYN....~S~
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My baby, is my baby, defect or not, I would NEVER see any problems with my child even if he were born with a genetic disorder. As a mother I love my children unconditionally, even if they aren't up to societies normality standards. Besides, who's to say that children with downs syndrome or other disorders don't have a wonderful quality of life?
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• your husband has a point..it's a big risk not only for the mother but most specially to the baby...

if she has this disorder most likely she has the least chance to get pregnant and it's very frustrating...
    i hope its not spinal cerebellar degeneration.

still miracles do happen.
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 2:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• And if she couldn't get pregnant again, there are lots of kids out there that need good homes. Just because you can't conceive doesn't mean that you can't be a mother.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think it would depend on the type of problem as well.The quality of life of the child is important, and the physical and emotional strain it can put on a family is to be taken into consideration. What would happen to the child if neither parent were able to physically or financially take care of him/her? What if there were no siblings to take care of the child once the parents were unable to do so? What kind of life expectancy would the baby have? It would be a hard decision, and one I don't know how I would decide. That being said though, my doctor told me that only a very small percentage (think it was like 3 or 4 %) of the tests that come back pos. actually ARE positives. So I wouldn't worry until after further testing.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would have my baby and love that baby. what kind of a mother would that make me if i aborted just because my baby may not be "normal". a mother should love and care for her child regardless of the childs health. you could have a perfectly healthy child who gets into an accident and is disabled forever, would you want your child any less then? i hope not.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009