My son almost strangled himself yesterday. Can I remind you to put your blind string up?

Yesterday my son was playing with his toys. (His toys are right under our living room window) As I was sitting on the couch right next to him.. I hear a sudden scream. A painful scream. I walk over and he has the string for the blinds wrapped around his neck, TIGHT. Somehow it he had it tied. It took me about 10 seconds before I could loosen it and untie it as he was screaming and jerking away. I thought I was going to have to cut it off. It was terrifiying. My son almost strangled himself. I can't help but think what if I walked out to the garage or out of the room for something and was gone just for a minute. He could have killed himself. And I thought my house was baby proof!! We now have the string looped around the curtain up high where I can't even reach it lol. Just watch out for those. He still has a red mark around his neck from it. And it happened 24 hours ago.

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh my! I'm so sorry! You're right, its a very good thing you were in the room. We may think our house is baby proof, but it may not be. Thank you for the reminder and I hope your little boy is ok.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 1:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have to keep the strings up around my 2 little girls too. I would be much happier if my husband would just take the blinds down because the girls destroy them but he won't. I'm glad your son is okay.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 1:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Wow I'm so glad he is okay! Thanks for posting this, we all need to be reminded of the little things we don't always think about that could hurt our LOs!!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thank you for the reminder that is so scary! I am so glad he is okay and were right there.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes! You can remind us! Thank you!

And I'm so glad you were there and could help him. Think what a hero you are to him now. Super Mommy!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thank God he's alright. Wow!

Did you hear about Mike Tyson's daughter and the treamill loop. This things can happen so easily it's frightening
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 7:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2009