the buddhist perspective on pain

i know that the buddhist belief system does put important on pain and suffering. growing up i encountered some pretty traumatic experiences..but the ages of 18-19...that one year.....was the worst year of my life...i cant believe i didnt commit suicide sometimes, no im not suicidal but those times were THAT BAD...i had no hope...nothing...everything that was in me was ripped out and devoured n omatter what i did......but i grew from it...omg i grew from it..looking back i wouldnt change a thing, it taught me SOOO MUCH, so many life lessons im happy it happened now because i dont think i would look at life and my family the way i do now without that year of torment.
is this something that somehow falls into that buddhist perspective of pain and suffering?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm glad to hear that you got through all of that;)

Buddhists believe that life is full of pain and suffering in many ways. You need to get through all of this in a loving way and become enlightened then hopefully nirvana. This is my understanding.

I just recently started studying buddhism and I love the religion, because it makes sense to me and most my beliefs fall into this religion. There are some great websites out there:)
    Anonymous

• I'm not Buddhist, but my understanding is that Buddhists - in a nutshell - believe that pain in this life is inevitable, but that suffering is not. It is our attachments that lead to suffering.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• from what i understand about Buddhism, the Buddha said that all life is pain and suffering - but that the pain and suffering is caused by desire, and once we overcome our desire we can overcome the pain and suffering (those are the 4 noble truths). and we overcome our desire by following the noble eightfold path and the middle way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am not sure. By the way I am so sorry that you had to go through all that, and I am so happy that you have taken it and turned it into a positive, to become stronger.

I think the Buddhist idea is that suffering comes from our desire, and in order to stop suffering we have to stop desiring. I personally think that our desires for things can cause us to suffer, but when I see people suffer it is usually because they are the vicitms of somone elses sin. I know not everyone will agree with that. But my dh is a youth pastor so I can't tell you how many broken teens I see because their parents are abusive, their uncles are perverted, their peers at school are harrassing, etc.

I see so many people that are hurting because of other people. I don't think that has anything to do with their desires, but their own self worth. And I don't think anyone should give up the desire to be treated with value.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• IDK but as a Christian I've learned Perserverance which the bible talks about. I'm sorry you went through a lot. I can relate having lost two brother and both parents. I am reminded how much Jesus suffered on the cross for my sins. I rest and trust the Lord still knowing this is a temporay life our eternal life is in Heaven with the Lord. His love is beyond my human understanding. I find my peace in His love and promises. Blessings!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 2:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• "is this something that somehow falls into that buddhist perspective of pain and suffering?"

It sure does. :-)

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• pain comes from suffering..the idea of zen is to not desire or want, just have the necessities. so that makes sense.

did i want something then...well yea, i was young..out of high school, i wanted to find myself lol. i wanted to take my music to the next level, i wanted to be independent, i want to just fly free.....and it bitch slapped me so hard (not all entirely my fault..some of it was my fault..i got into drugs, and that right their is a terrible desire..and no i dont mean pot, pot is a herb. i was hooked on meth...but some of the things tha thappened....were not necessarily my fault....long story.

but..i got to a point where i said fuck it...i gave up all of my material possessions except for the clothes on my back, called my mother hours away on a payphone by a gas station and said "i give up, i need help and i need it bad" 6 months later i jioned the military to serve someone other than myself..rest is history
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• so in a way..that all makes sense. my desire for complete indpendence, fun(drugs), self indulgence mixed with the TERRIBLE company i had........it took a terrible year of suffering because i did not want to let go...but once it broke me....

when i walked away from it all literally in one day....it that one day where i just could not take it anymore and deicded either i walk away now with nothing and start fresh, or im going ot die here...the day i wanted nothing, i just wanted life and that is a pretty essential wanting..not a desire that is indulgent......is the day my life turned around and i have never looked back.

i even cut my hair hehe, i had super long hair...it was very symbolic to me...i had long hair y entire life, it was to my ass and i hacked it off..its long agian now but back then, it was symbolic to me

im glad i did it all. i actually saved my cousins life being their, so it was meant to be.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009