Twins in seperate classrooms, good idea?

I am a mom of twin boys age 5. I want them to be in seperate classrooms. I think it would be better for them to have that time apart, since they do everything else togther. I would love to hear your thoughts on it, if your a mom of twins or a teacher or just someone with an intelligent opinion. Thanks.

jchris

Asked by jchris at 1:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good idea they r sepearte people. They will see each other at lunch and recess.
    Anonymous

• You can always give it a try, But I wouldn't be too surprised if one sneaked off into the other's room to sleep. Kinda like when you co-sleep, the child gets use to sleeping around some one, they often sneak back into their parents bed some time before sun rise. Hope that was intelligent enough an opinion for you =)

Either way it might be nice for them to have separate rooms to start putting "their" stuff in to keep it separate from their brother's.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They are individual people and should be treated as individuals.

This coming from the daughter of a twin who was forced to do everything the twin did...same outfits, same classes, same parties, same friends, etc. They grew to hate each other over the years and hated the way they were raised.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am a mom of twin boys. They are about 2 and a half. They attend a special needs school and are in separate classrooms. They thrive! We had some concerns about separating them. They have no issues. The bus driver says they blow each other kisses when they part in the mornings and give hugs when they see each other. Funny I never see that when they are home they beat the snot out of each other. lol
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, I did this with my niece and nephew when they moved in with me. When they started first grade, I made sure they had different classes. I wanted them to be able interact with other kids without their twin there. Especially if one tends to be more dominate then the other, in my case my niece was (and still is~they're 13 now).

mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My BFF has twin girls in 2nd grade. Every year she has went school clothes shopping and asked the girls if they want to dress alike or diffrent. They always have picked to dress alike. In k-5 our school district allows twins to be in same class, but splits them after that year. She fought it for 1st grade and won, but now they are in diffrent classes. The teachers recomend it so they don't relly on each other as "only friends" or cheat at games or homework, test,ect. Plus, it allows them to grow as individuals. One of the girls is "known" for being the smart one in her class, the other is "known" for being the best at sports in her class. Now they aren't against each other, competing. I think seperating them young is a great way to watch them grow their own strengths. GL
    Anonymous

• I have identical triplets and they are all three in separate classes best thing for them. They are known for just being them and not one of the triplets. They just completed 1st grade and are doing so well. They will remain in separate classrooms next year for 2nd grade. They are the youngest in their classes (they were 5 the first two months of 1st grade cutoff is not until December) so we had some concerns but they were all three the brightest in their classes and next year will be in an enrichment program for gifted kids so they will see each other an hour a day for that. They are excited about it. They had to eat with their class so they only saw each other for 20 minutes each day during second recess. It was hard but they all have their own friends and are starting to branch out.

Anonymous

• I have had twins in my preschool class because there was not other class to be able to separate. I have always recommended that they be separated in Kindergarten. Typically, one of the twins is not as advanced academically and the other is more socially mature. If they are in separate classes, one does not overshadow the other and the child who is weaker socially is more apt to come out of his shell. Each gets to be more of an individual.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Personally, I think that is a wonderful idea! I would add more but everyone before me said all I was gonna say LOL!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think it is a great idea and am surprised the school didn't initiate it. My grandmother is an identical twin and they held her back a year (after she had started school) because the school said she was too dependent on her sister. THAT was devastating for her. I can tell just hearing her talk about it now. Anyway, I think that a little time apart would be good.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009