Does you toddler like to hit??

My 17 month old daughter loves to hit people on the face or anywhere she can hit, she also loves to bite. I know she mainly does it because people like to laugh when she does it so she thinks she's being funny. But, when she does it to me I tell her to be nice and try to stop her. It is not working....i tell people not to laugh but when she is around small children she can't help it. How can i stop it??

iri24

Asked by iri24 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • Oh, yeah. My boy's 16 months and we show him what a gentle touch is, and that hitting's a no-no.
    papai

Answer by papai at 2:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• just have to tell her no no and maybe even put her in time out when she does it the second time. Remind people that this may be funny now, but very BAD later so you are trying to control this now.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• omg my son does this too! ill be sitting on the couch with him or something kind of playing around and he will look at me and then just start smacking me in the face! he thinks its hillarious. i grab his hand and tell him 'no no thats ouchies!' and ive even tried hitting him back with his own hand (like why are you hitting yourself style) and he looks like it annoys him but he hasnt quite stopped yet. its been fewer and farther between though so hopefully its getting phased out. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Bummer. My 16 month old is quite the hitter as well. We've tried time outs, simple "No-no's", distraction, pretending to cry......everything. A few weeks ago he started to understand "Nice touch". Whenever he hits we tell him "That hurts Mommy/Papa, nice touch instead", and then gently guide his hand over our faces. Now whenever we say "nice touch" he pets us. He even uses nice touch with the cats! I think our awesome daycare provider had something to do with it though. I just try to remember that this is one of the smallest issues I will have in motherhood. ;)
    PotatoMama

Answer by PotatoMama at 3:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• now how do u get a 17 month old baby to stay in time out??How do i make her just sit there without being too mean about it?
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son has been hitting and biting a lot too. I think he sees the older kids in daycare do it. No matter how he learned it or why he does it..I get eye level with him, grab his hands and say "don't hit momy. Hitting is bad". If he looks away, I say "look at mommy" and I repeat myself. Most of the time this is not enough so I consider that his warning and now I am using time outs. Even at 18 months he knows what it is and will sit there (after being placed back a few times). He still hits and bite but it seems less often. Most people say it is a phase.
    mktgmomma

Answer by mktgmomma at 4:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It's an ongoing battle with DS. He's 18mo. He slaps his sister in the face all the time. He goes in time-out whenever it happens, and I think he's starting to get it. He's lucky his sister loves him as much as she does!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009