Suggestions for traveling outside of the country with unvaccinated children

We are contemplating traveling outside of the country (Mexico-resort town) with our children. The problem is that our 20 month old has not had any vaccinations since she was 9 months old. Have any of you done this, or have valid suggestions or reasons NOT to do this? Thanks in advance.

karebearintx

Asked by karebearintx at 2:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Travel

• Mexico is still a bad place to visit right now. Wait a year or two. There is a lot of crime and problems going on down there.
    Anonymous

• Dont do iT ! you will be putting your child in a potentially dangerous situation. I would think twice about it .
    Anonymous

• Two of my children were born in other countries and were vaccinated there. Based on the other comments, I would concur that Mexico is not a good option for you now.  Maybe try somewhere like Puerto Rico or another Carribean island if you really still want to escape.

3are_a_blessing

Answer by 3are_a_blessing at 2:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would not take an unvaccinated child out of the country. Honestly, I would not take an unvaccinated child on an airplane. When you expose an unvaccinated child to people from other countries, you lose the "herd Immunity" found here.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No way hose'. I would be scared to take my children in a walmart if they didnt have their shots. Americans are nasty, I couldnt imagine taking them to another country. I would never put my child's life in danger like that just b/c I wanted to go somewhere. They said in the news that it still wasnt safe for toddlers in mexico. Their immune system is still to weak even if they have had shots!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009