How does a hyphen work in a baby's last name? Which one is the definate last name, legally?

I am having my baby on Monday and I still can't decide who's last name to give to the baby! Me and her father are not together anymore, but he is still there for me and will be for our baby. He really wants her to have his last name but I want her to have mine. If I hyphenate the name, which name is more important? Does the name after the hyphen get dropped? I would love some advice.

roseybaby

Asked by roseybaby at 2:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can hyphenate it...my daughters name is keeton-maines. its the whole name none of it gets dropped..just remember that your child is gonna have to live with a super long last name and i kinda wish i would have given my dd just my last name but i that would have caused a lot of drama so i went with both...it does get kinda irritating having to spell out the whole thing for important things like the doctor but at least the baby with have both names
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter has two last names. They are both her legal names. And I am proud to say she just graduated kindergaten and can can spell both and add the hyphen. I wouldn't have her name any other way.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The whole name would be her legal last name.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• the whole name hyphen and all will be his/her leagal last name.
    Mom2jngnc

Answer by Mom2jngnc at 3:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughters' last names are hyphenated (I didn't take my husband's name when we married), neither gets dropped unless your child chooses to do so, but the whole thing is legally her last name. We put my husband's last name first and then mine simply because we liked the way it sounded better (and neither of us believe that the father's last name has any priority.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The whole thing is the legal last name. Mom's usually goes first, but that is your choice. You can have friends, family, and schools call he/she what ever you want. Just let them know.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2009