my son doesn't point yet?

my son is almost 14 months old. he doesn't point yet. SO and I always point at things in front of him, but he doesn't copy us and hasn't done it on his own yet. Is this normal for this age? I know babies develop differently but I read about younger babies pointing and it has gotten be worried about him being a "slow" developer"...but he did start walking at 10 m/o, so I don't think that so much anymore lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry. Babies start to point sometime between 12 months and 18 months. Once they do, a language explosion is in the near future. At this point, he should have 3 or 4 words, including mama and dada. Once he does start to point, be sure to give very full labels to things... "The dog? Yes! That is a big, brown dog. Doesn't he have soft fur?"
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Motor sills are way different then social skills.
    I would be worried. However, does he talk yet? Does he communicate in other ways through baby sign or pics? ...still, i would be worried if he wasnt pointing. ...but that's JMO. Talk to your doctor.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It CAN BE a sign of autism. But he is still young.

(my dd is mildly autistic by the way) When you point to something does he follow your point to look at the object?

Does he talk? Is he attentive to his name or other people?

He is still VERY young to be panicked. But just mention it to the Dr so that it can be on the radar. And remember kids are all very different, I am sure there are kids running around who never cared to point at anything.

;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• he babbles mostly, more lately than usual! he has said "daddy" to daddy and "pee pee" while I was changing his diaper, both before he was 1, but he hasnt said them since. his new thing is going "oooooooowwww" which is a Meow noise (he does it around the cat). he hasnt been able to socialiaze much in the past month due to me havng no car 9in the shop) to make it to playgroups (SO works all day and has the only working car), and no one comes to visit me, but I will hopefully have it back this week and off the playgroups we'll go lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Is there anything else that he is not doing that you feel he should be doing at his age.
    My DD has PDD (mild form of autism) not to scare you or anything...
    She never pointed, ever..
    Have you mentioned this to your doctor.
    My doctor was the one who opened up my eyes.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes he does follow objects, knows I'm mommy, knows daddy, knows who the cat is, knows what banana is (he says NANA when he sees a banana or is offered one), he says "hey" on occasion, knows his name (if he's in the other room and I call his name, he'll come to me or whoever is calling him), he is familiar with opening lines or tunes to nursery rhymes...he just...doesn't point....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What has your doctor said.?
    Does he ever stare?
    What about loud noises, do they bother him?
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter is almost 18 months and started to occationally point around 15 months and by 16 months was pointing at everything. I wouldnt worry if there are no other issues to be concerned with. But by all means mention it to the Dr if you are worried. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• to dannee: I havent brought it up to the dr yet, but will....
    yes he does stare, but not "in space" he pays attention very well and does react!
    sudden loud noises make him jump or he reacts like "what the hell is that?" loud noises around the house like the washing machine or dishwasher he is used to.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• some kids develop mentally b4 others, and others develop motor skills b4 others, he wil eventually get it, i wouldnt worry too much, my daughter started pointing at 6mnths, but is one year and is just starting to walk, so unless u notice other things like not babbling or talking, which ever he is doing more, than i wouldnt worry about it.
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 3:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009