When to introduce the toddler bed?

My daughter is 16 months and her chest is easily at the level of the crib rail... but she hasn't tried to climb out... Should I wait to make the move to the toddler bed @ 18 mos or go ahead and try it now??? When did you make the move??

dirty4x4mom

Asked by dirty4x4mom at 2:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, ...for us DS was abducted by his mother so we didnt even get him back until he ws 18 months and we just put him in a toddler bed. I dont know what he was sleeping in when he was with his BM.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I wouldnt start this early! If you are worried, you can get a crib tent that goes over the tent. But, I dont plan on moving my son for a long time!! (How long can they stay IN a crib!? LOL!) If she isnt climbing out, I would say no. IF you switch too early, you will only wind up with a confused little girl, IMO!
    Anonymous

• lol yea, that's what I thought... I know my daughter, if she went to a toddler bed right now, she'd prob run around her room (after tearing it up of course haha) and then find her passed out on the floor in the morning.. I saw some other mom's talking about it and googled it..
    dirty4x4mom

Answer by dirty4x4mom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter is almost 18 months and is at chest level with the crib as well, but has not ever tried to climb out. I feel that it would be safer and easier to keep her in the crib until she does try to climb out or is more mature and I can trust her running around without hurting herself or getting into too much. I know I will know when she is ready.I dont have a set age to move her to a toddler bed but I think in our case it may be closer to 2 1/2. IMO alot of people try to rush their babies into a toddler bed too early and then it doesnt work out and the baby doesnt adjust well, then they wonder why. IMO babies should be in a crib untill they are at leat 2....unless there is a safety hazard of course.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• at 2 1/2 why would you even get the toddler bed? what a waste of money. ...my son is 3 1/2 now and is in a regular bed because a toddler bed just isnt enough room. i think toddler beds are a waste of money anyways and the only reason DS had one is because i wasnt his SM yet.
    ...that's JMHO of course.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• wow "outstanding" - go easy, I am a first time mom and my question was genuine. 2nd her crib is a 4-in-1. The question wasn't "is a toddler bed a waste of money".
    dirty4x4mom

Answer by dirty4x4mom at 2:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree. If you have the 4in1 to still wait a bit longer. I also dont think it is a waste of money. Mine will transition to a toddler bed (which I will do after 2.5 years probably) and then to a full size bed when ever he outgrows the toddler bed or asks for the bigger one. (ours is a 3in1)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have a 4 in 1 also and i LOVE it!!! our daughter is just one, but we recently traveled and at her grandmas house all she had was a regular bed with these mesh side bars, and our daughter did fine for that one week, we slept by her bed so she couldnt get hurt, but her cousin was 15months when they switched him his chest was at rail, he wasnt trying to get out, but he did fine, i agree with the trusting that they wont get hurt when they get out of their bed, that would b the key for me.
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 3:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Quite honestly I would wait until you have a reason to do it... if she actually tries to climb out and succeeds. I thought for sure my daughter would, but sure enough she's 2 years old and still sleeps peacefully in her crib. There are moms on here daily trying to figure out how to get their toddlers to stay put in their toddler beds. The AAP recommends the crib until 3, until they climb out, or until they exceed the weight limit. I'm going to weight as long as possible (my daughter also still loves to sleep in a ball on her tummy, pressed against the rails). Why mess with a good thing?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Sorry, I'm going to "wait" -- not "weight" as long as possible lol

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009