healthy eating

is there any way to eat healthier without buying crazy expensive stuff or buying and trying things ive never heard of.... maybe stuff thats already in the cupboards at home???

familymoms

Asked by familymoms at 2:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I try to use lean meat and eat beans. For tacos I buy 93/7 meat and brown 2lbs at once and rinse one can of black beans and put them in food processor and add to meat. Then I divide the meat into 3 dinners, freeze 2 and use one right away. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. I buy enough fruit for everyone to have one or 2 /day and lots of variety in small portions. have a few veggies with dinner and eat less entree. Make shakes with real fruit and yogurt. whatever isnt eaten then can be stored in popsicle containers and frozen for a snack another day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You know, the simpler i cook, the easier it is to control how much calories I'm eating, & how healthy I'm eating. For example a piece of meat any way you like it, a steamed vegetable, or a salad w/ some kind of starch, like a piece of bread or couscous, or a baked potato. That is a healthy meal, & it's easy. I NEVER buy crazy expensive stuff, i just choose wiser. I buy turkey sausage instead of pork sausage, i use less butter in everything, i now drink skim milk instead of 2% (i had to trick hubby, i told him it was 1% & let him believe that for about 2 weeks until i told him it was skim. Funny, now he loves skim milk, & he REFUSED to drink it before, he called it blue water..lol) Also, switch from regular mayo to light mayo. All this worked for me. I just read labels & try to choose the healthier option, you don't have to spend extra.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Samuri has it down pat. I have tried several food plans, but have discovered (at least for how, anyway) that making food choices easy and no-brainers help me not only save money (from buying expensive diet foods or even special recipes), that I'm also saving time by keeping my food choices simple, easy and what we call clean and also by not having so much food prep time, nor clean up.

For instance, for breakfast (boiled egg, 7 almonds, small piece of fruit, glass of veg. juice, water, and cup of hot green tea.) This is a full meal and keeps me full till lunch. At lunch (cut veg, consisting of 3 mushrooms, 2-3 radishes, 2 stalks celery with low fat cheese spread, 7 almonds and a cup of sugar free jello, small glass of veg. juice, water to drink.) Then dinner is (4 oz of lean meat-chick, beef, or fish; 2 veg. or 1 steamed veg. and 1 salad with lots of veggies cut, dressing- not diet, water to drink.) Easy, no brainer.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have looked very carefully and feel like I'm eating more veg. servings than most. I get protein 3 times a day, plenty of fiber, plenty of water and all is actually very low cal. No butter is added, but I do use olive oil every day, no junk, but I do use plenty of herbs to make the dinner veggies taste really good to give my palate that bang. Sometimes I add another piece of fruit in the evening if I am beg. to want something sweet. :)

Fresh veg. and good lean meat aren't cheap, but junk food costs much more. My breakfast takes no time to prepare, no dirty dishes (and under 300 cals). Lunch is about 300 cals and dinner is prob. 500-600. In between if I feel a bit hungry I grab a small hand of almonds (fiber and protein!) I am losing weight so fast now, that I plan to make this a test to see if the wt loss continues like it is so far. :)

Americans really do make meals more difficult.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day
    Replace meat and dairy with bean, lentils and tofu. Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with an iron source (like kale or beans) to increase the absorption of the iron.
    Here are some typical meals at our house, let me know if you would like any recipes:
    noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    veggie pot pie
    lentil tacos
    sweet potato & black bean burritos
    sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Avoid processed foods. It's unhealthy and expensive. Cook from scratch. You are in control of the food contents, calories, and expense.
    Anonymous