Does anyone lift weights along with their cardio?

I have ben lifting weights for about a month now. One thing I'm noticing is that i am TIRED all the time. From what i've heard, people say that is because my body is using more energy to maintain the muscle. Anyway, i'm scared i might be doing something wrong. So far i have lost 5 lbs, i think it came off my boobs...lol!

Anyone have experience with strength training?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 2:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Remember too, that you are probably lifting weights till your muscles are exhausted, which is the point to building muscle. So that right there is enough to make you tired. But like one of the previous posters stated, be sure that you are getting foods that contain iron. You could take an iron supplement, but usually your body expels them before they have absorbed enough. Not saying not to take iron supplements, b/c every little bit will help, but eating iron rich foods will give your blood the oxygen it needs which will give you the normal energy you need, and the extra b/c of the weight lifting. :) Hope this gives you some ideas. ;)

Raisins, beef (chicken is prefect for protein, but beef contains iron), spinach and esp. beef liver contain the most iron.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• b4 i got pregnant i used weight machines @ the gym but it gave me more energy.. idk gl though & congrats on the weight loss
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I lift weights all the time. If you're tired you might need to check out your diet, or add something like an Iron supplement. A lot of women have problems with low iron (anemia), so make sure you're getting everything you're supposed to. Also, how heavy are you lifting? Are you looking to add muscle or tone? Are you getting enough protein?

Honestly, lifting weights has done wonders for my figure. It's usually the cardio that makes you lose weight in vital areas - BOOBS ;)
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thanks sw33t. i have wondered about low iron. I try to eat as much protein as i can. I was doing a lot of cardio, like A LOT, but was not seeing any results. So, i got in touch with an old friend who is a competitive body builder. He said that i NEED to lift weights if i want to burn more calories. He was right, just 3 weeks after i started lifting i lost 5 lbs. He says there is no such thing as "toning" your muscles. You just build them up & lose the fat on top so you can see them. I have heard that "toning" is not even a way to lift weights. Not sure. I DO lift heavy, but not SO heavy that I'm struggling on my last rep. I notice a difference in my arms, much less flabby. My arms look great. But i still want to lose some fat, & i think not eating enough is what is making me so tired. I was told to eat a power bar.....maybe that will work...thanks guys!!!!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I do agree with you friend to an extent (toning vs bulking), but lifting heavier WILL build bulkier muscle than lighter weight with more repetition. Personally, I prefer to lift heavy.

As for the rest of it, he is ABSOLUTELY right about needing to lift. I used to be a "cardio queen", but nothing can compare to adding weight lifting to your routine.

And you said it best yourself, "not eating enough is what is making me so tired". Get your diet under control and you should be good. If you are serious about your workouts you need to support it with a good, healthy diet. Great job so far, keep it up.
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I do. And it does make you tired lol. But, you can eat more cals since your metabolism is boosted! :-)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Sounds like you need to add protein to your diet. I use light weights with cardio and I feel that way sometimes. I usually eat a little more meat to get my iron level back up. As far as the weight in the boobs I wish I had an answer, I have the same problem. It sucks to lose weight in my boobs, but I feel great working out and love having a 6 pack. Good Luck and congrats on the 5 pounds.
    Amazommy

Answer by Amazommy at 6:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2009