Helping with 7 year old in pull-ups?

I have a 7 yr. old step daughter who wears pull-ups to bed. She is really bothered by it especially when all the kids are together and someone notices. I do not know how to help her stop it, because she lives with her mother 90% of the time. So we can't like help her learn to wake herself up like I did with my daughter. But I just want to help her practice things at home so she can get out of them. (we know that her mother gets beat on by her husband and think that her recent within 2 yrs. peeeing in bed every night is from this) We are trying to get custody of her and her brother but we have to be patient. I just need some tips on what I can suggest to her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• that is sad. i wish you the best of luck. just keep encouraging her. Maybe wake her up every night at a certain time? idk. but good luck. poor little girl.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• at 7 years old she is old enough to take responsibility for this herself...while in your care you need to teach her not to drink anything before bed and to get up at night when/if she feels the urge to go. I have never heard of a 7 year old wearing pull ups...is there some underlying issue like abuse or the like?

girl_in_the_D

Answer by girl_in_the_D at 4:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• theres some under wear like pull up at walmart and the kids wont noices them because they look like underwear
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• There are bedwetting alarms that are small and simply slip inside the underpants. If you can afford one, consider getting her one and letting her take it back to moms house with her. She could use it without anyone else knowing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree w/girl in the d!

This little girl needs counseling. Although I never heard of a 7 yr old wearing anything diaper related, I think your worries lie a bit deeper than that. So, let's say she stops wearing pull-ups tomorrow. She's conquered wetting the bed. Ok, now her heart, emotions, her feelings are still damaged at what's going on at home...How do you fix that?? Every problem has a root to it. Tackle the root first before trying to tackle the opposite end of it.

Best of blessings to you and your fam.

~K~
    KXDESIGNS

Answer by KXDESIGNS at 7:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Good Nites had a version that looked like boxers for little boys; I'm not sure if they have anything for little girls. Try to limit her liquids before bed-time, and wake her up to go when you go to bed. You can't control what happens outside of your house with her; but, if she learns these things with you they could carry over. Good luck and best wishes!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 8:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• you have a few options that I use for mine, Walmart does have some overnights that look like shorts, they don't show as much as the pullups, limit the drinks at night ... my Dr. told me to get my daughter up two hours after she goes to bed to go to the bathroom... you can also talk to your Dr. about a medication that will shut the bladder down over night... it could help your child's self esteem...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• in her case b/c there is trouma going on there really may be an intense underlying issue. I'd also not rule out allergies. And possible physical issues.
    I would try to find the ones that look like panties, try the whole limiting and waking her up etc.
    I will also tell you my lil bro peed until almost high school and mom did the alarm, liq. wake up etc. NOTHING WORKED. For him it was a combo of trauma, allergies, and now that we know about such things... prob. bladder.
    I would work with her in a gentle way. She wants to try to have her be involved with brainstorming ideas and trying diff. things that will also give her some ownership of the whole process.
    I know its traumatizing but also give her hope that eventualy it does stop and she is NOT the only one. Its just a unique thing.
    Anonymous

• some kind of timer or alarm that wake her at night would help
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• "I have never heard of a 7 year old wearing pull ups...is there some underlying issue like abuse or the like?"  Just because you have never heard of it does not mean it doesn't happen all over the world everyday.  A lot of kids have bladders that are too small and they still wet at night up until the age of 12. It is not uncommon. Just be patient with her do your best to train her at home and she will soon get the hang of it. pay no mind to her age that is just a number and each child develops at their own pace. Good luck with the custody

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009