For those that bash people on PA..Do you realize the majority of people are like two paychecks away from being homeless?

My cousin always bashed people on PA. Now her dh doesn't love her anymore and she is signing up for PA. SAHMS really put themselves at risk for being that person on PA. Sometimes marriages crumble, dhs pass on. Maybe we all need to realize that.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't realize that. I've always wondered what they think life is like living on PA. Granted, it's been many years since I was there but I had to wash my clothes by hand, spent days trying to catch my daughter before she used her diaper and hold her on the toilet because I couldn't afford for her to use her diapers. It was a good post baby weight loss plan though. We walked everywhere and spent lots of time at parks. My parents were nice enough to babysit for me while I was at work, just to make enough money to hardly survive.
    Anonymous

• The PA questions are getting so nauseatingly old.Some people are truely in a bad position and need the help which is meant to be a hand up not a hand out.The problem is the government messes up everything it runs practically.So there are many using it as a handout.Now the government will have even more control yippie more for them to destroy.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• We have life insurance. We also have an emergency savings fund, for just in case. I wouldn't be on PA, but if I needed it, I wouldn't be ashamed, either.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree. I do have feelings about drug testing and other things to make the system less abused, but their are real people going thru hard times that need the system too. Not everyone is an abuser. I try not t judge anyone because I may be in their shoes someday...Karma isn't very nice!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• or less....
    Anonymous

• The issue is that MANY people abuse the system. Nobody is knocking those who really NEED it.

In all reality, everyone should have life insurance, disability insurance, and a nice emergency fund.

But what does everyone get instead? CREDIT CARDS!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It's not just when marriages crumble. I am a 45 year old woman in a stable marriage. My husband became disabled and the job market crumbled. There is rampant age discrimination and if you have kids employeers assume you will be out all the time to care for them. I am also college educated and worked from the time I was 16 until my twins were born in 1997, so over 20 years. None of that helped me. So wake up and stop assuming it can't happen to you. Sometimes you do all the right things and life hits you with the unexpected.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Actually if the crap hit the fan, and dh died, we'd be at least 2 YEARS away from being homeless....that of course would only happen if I went on a spending spree, didn't work, and after blowing through his million dollar insurance policy, my children's trust funds (thanks to my parents), and THEN tapping into our savings and investments.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do realize that,and I also realize that I know many people who have literally been on PA their ENTIRE LIVES, never held down a job, and this was WAY before the economy tanked. I have a huge problem with lazy people, and people that abuse the system, not people who actually need it. And I know there are people who actually need it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• So really your bashing SAHMS right?

I have a great support system called FAMILY.. FAMILY does anything for FAMILY. . IF I need PA assistance so my children can get health coverage then HELL YES I WOULD...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009